The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

South Bend Clutch

MellowVR4

I have one on mine, I believe its the kevlar/ceramic combo, Love it so far.

andrew4g63

I also have a south bend clutch in my car.
I tried the full ceramic ss-x package because I ran a Kevlar disc south bend and it glazed the surface an slipped on hard acceleration.
I talked with Tim from tmzperformance and he said the full ceramic clutch disc should be better for my 400hp galant.
He said a Kevlar one will slip if you get it too hot and glazed and that can happen rather quickly with full weight galant with some power.
I only have 500 miles on new ceramic disc so I can't tell how it holds up but I do like the pedal pressure and feel of clutch. The pedal is very easy to depress.

losermakesgood

I live in South Bend so I decided to go with them. The setup is great! No problems. I have the 2200# pp and kevlar disc. So far no complaints at all.

tektic

one in my car too. only 100 miles on it though no great impression.

Edit:
I got the South Bend Stage 3 Endurance Clutch Kit-DSM
[K05048-SS- T] I have a built motor and a small turbo i guess i was planning to get tired of? I probably should have gotten a lighter clutch. It works well though.

Last edited:

swe_gvr4_1991

I run a TMZ South Bend clutch. The TZ/FE SS-X combo. No problems.
Great clutch.

Spyder

My car is basically stock. Slight mods but no serious power. I am guessing 250- 275 hp. No dyne close to check it. But I am going to need a clutch somewhat soon so I was thinking about this.

JnZ Tuning

Not sure how much a ceramic clutch would chew up the flywheel.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned