The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

some one please help...

transparentdsm

in this area who can tune link? when i use SD the car runs like sh*t and wont stay on for long periods of time and only reads -12in hg at idle, but my timing its 5 deg. dead on and when i rev it up and let off the car just dies.
so i put a 2g maf and changed my v3 settings over to that, turn the car on and my vaccum goes to 17 idle is hunting a little but stable between 950-1025 sounds way better and o2 readings are better, but now my timing is at 13-14 degrees and it tried hard to not die when i rev it but sometimes it does die.

now im really at a lose and at my wits end.

can someone please help me.

EHmotorsports

have you been to ecmtuning's website. they have a great wiki page on how to set up link for SD.

James

Sounds like your problem isn't link related. Unless the tune is super jacked.

turbowop

Quoting transparentdsm:
but my timing its 5 deg.

but now my timing is at 13-14 degrees

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Your base timing should always be 5 degrees when adjusted using a timing light. You may need to take a few steps back and rethink what you're doing as far as things that need to be adjusted correctly before even getting to tuning with Link. Do you have anybody local that can halp you out?

jnava

Staff member
The link below has a pdf file that has been built for sd tuning. Check it out and help yourself to some learning and you'll have some interesting fun. I was in the same position as you were. My car initially sounded like it had cams. Just read through it and have at it.

click

curtis

Not to insult but is the base timing set using a ground wire to the battery on the one plug, fuel pressure set correctly with and without vacuum reference..... Seen it happen before , sometimes its just the basics that screw things up down the line.

transparentdsm

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting transparentdsm:
but my timing its 5 deg.

but now my timing is at 13-14 degrees

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Your base timing should always be 5 degrees when adjusted using a timing light. You may need to take a few steps back and rethink what you're doing as far as things that need to be adjusted correctly before even getting to tuning with Link. Do you have anybody local that can halp you out?

i should have been more clear, thats what my log was reading in ecmlink. i have done all the proper adjustments, ie timing light grounding wires and even adjusting the biss. its when i shwitch links maf from SD to 2g maf that i get all these changes...

transparentdsm

Quoting jnava:
The link below has a pdf file that has been built for sd tuning. Check it out and help yourself to some learning and you'll have some interesting fun. I was in the same position as you were. My car initially sounded like it had cams. Just read through it and have at it.

click

the link you gave me is what i used to set up my link... that is my main problem. i have no one near me to help. i feel like a little kid that just broke his action figure and cant figure out how to get it back together... i just wanna throw things..

transparentdsm

Quoting curtis:
Not to insult but is the base timing set using a ground wire to the battery on the one plug, fuel pressure set correctly with and without vacuum reference..... Seen it happen before , sometimes its just the basics that screw things up down the line.

its not an insult, the best of people forget the little things sometimes..

im pretty good with electrical and mechanical stuff, in the sense of putting things together properly, tuning is a different story. i can do a SAFC but this stand alone stuff is just to much for me i think..

DynastyLCD

Shane, if you can bring your laptop with you when you come up with the exhaust, i'll try to help you out with tuning. i'm pretty savvy with V3, enough to where i could confidently help you get your car running right!

transparentdsm

phil what are the odds of me giving you like 100$ to come out to my house? ill still deliver the exhaust to you as well. im the second exit off 84 in pa about 20 miles south.

desant78

^to make this trip even more worthwhile (cuz I know helping shane is probably enough) Phil I'd bring up those parts you need for your vr4 if Shane is willing to hold on to them, that way you don't have to drive all the way down to south jersey. And of course drop off that sweet turbo for ya!

DynastyLCD

i think i've got to get my ass in gear on a weekend i'm off, and come down to visit both of you hooligans. i've got to fix Shane's tune and steal Sal's transmission. plus i think we all need to hang out for awhile and catch up.

Shane we will talk more about it when you come up here with the exhaust, but that sounds like a plan to me!

transparentdsm

some time next week ill be heading out there. i got 1078 running and now Cait can drive it to work and i can take her wagon to come out by you with the exhaust. let me know what day is better for you tues, wen, thur or sun. i can come out any of those days next week.

DynastyLCD

we should plan this for the weekend, i'm at work mon-fri and some saturdays. sunday wouldn't be any issue for me though. that way we can hang out for a bit and enjoy the day. if the wife wants to come along, she could go hang out with my girl so they aren't stuck in DSM/GVR4 land listening to us talk about cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

that being said, if you guys wanted to go grab lunch, get a drink, whatever, there's plenty of good spots around here. awesome italian restaraunt about 20 minutes away. last year i took Tyler (ducttapeguy) and Brian (unistylef), they can vouch that the food is awesome!

transparentdsm

ok so the wife is gonna try to take off sunday but ill be coming out reguardless, so lets say well grab some food and a few drinks and hang out for most of the day. i have found a few new boost leaks in 138 so i have to get that straightened out before you come out as well. i actually just bought the final interior piece for 1078 from tyler. driver side ceiling trim piece in brown, but ill paint it.

ducttapeguy

Yup. The Italian food is teh bees knees. And Phil is a freaking whiz on link. Got my car running better that I thought was possible in just an hour or two. You are in good hands with Phil. Make sure you get one of his decals too

transparentdsm

oh boy we're excited to try some of that food, but my wife is the cook at the local italian pizzeria/restaurant in milford, pa and since she started there it literally made the other restaurants in town close during some week days because her food took their business. so you have some serious competition, plus it is my wife.....heh

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned