The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

shop price for wheel bearing?

mikus

what's a reasonable price to expect for a shop to do a wheel bearing on the ol' vurr4?

In case I'm too lazy to pull teh hub...

Probably $75-120 depending on labor rates (does not include the bearing, one side only).

haha. Well maybe at a small shop if you are lucky. I did one at toyota today and it was 150 for thehub(just because), 75 for the bearing, 8 for the snap ring and i charged 2.5 hrs to put it in plus an alignment. Our labor rate is 90 and hours so it was rather expensive. lol
so just do it urself and napa can press in the bearing if you can't

Terry Posten

I did the complete removal and disassembly of each front hub. I bought all the parts from Mitsu and cleaned EVERYTHING. I then took everything to Midas to press together.

They charged me $40 each side. $80 total but you will NEVER be able to press everything back together without at least a 20 ton press and all of the blocks and dies.

The rears can be done with a manual puller, a sturdy work bench, and a big hammer (protect the hub/bearings of course).

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I took my fronts to the local dealer and a tech I know used the special tools and pressed them together for me. I owe him some beer.

Satan is not always bad... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Terry Posten

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Local satan does not like me. Just my money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Oh, I don't deal with the actual service manager or the advisers, I just go straight to the techs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I did a wheelbearing on mine. They have the goofy abs ring on the hub but it was not any trouble if you work at a shop with a press and all. I did mine no problm. I guess anyone in the dallas area feel free to hit me up if you need something like that done

14u2nV

Are you guys doing the inner race when you do the fronts or is it part of the hub?

Terry Posten

Are you talking about the inner race that always stays on the hub when you press the hub out? If so, no. You have to get that off just to replace the inner grease seal.

The puller I have was too big to get a grip so I used a dremel with a cut-off wheel and sliced a groove all the way across but not all the way through. Once you have a groove cut, use a propane torch and heat it up. It will snap and pop off.

If your talking about the spindle cup that receives the bearing, then no, that is part of the spindle.

Your hub should look like this before you have the new bearing pressed on.

DR1665

BUMP>

Search still works. I really appreciated the pictures in this one. Looks like I'll be doing some bearings in the near future.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned