The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Hub Removal..?

Another newbie tech Q. I read up on wheel bearing replacement and hub removal and this is where I'm stuck at. I'm trying to remove the hub from the knuckle.. The manual uses some special tools to get it out but I have no access to these things.. Is it neccesary or has anyone use other alternatives? If so, where can I get this hub remover screw.. I think one of the members here mentioned something about not being able to locate the knuckle arm bridge special tool.. Otherwise, I'd have to find a shop to help me out.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif Any $.02 would be appreciated..

just did one #30 a week back...you need a slide hammer...try and borrow one from an independent shop...it took me two people beating on it for about 20 minutes..slowly but surely it started to move and it came out. Hope this helps!

Ted Andkilde

Front or rear?

Front bearing is a b*tch to get out, clean everything up so you can see what you're looking at, there is a large snap ring that need to be removed first, and then the bearing needs to be pressed out. You'll have to take the whole front hub assembly off the car and drop it off at CarQuest (or who-ever you use locally).

Rear's are possible to do on the car, drop the axle, undo the nut and remove axle cup, disassemble brakes, use a slide hammer to pull the stub axle and a big drift and a hammer to remove the outer race of the outer bearing and the inner bearing.

It's "heavy" work.

Do a search though, the process has been written up in detail on the site.

Cya, Ted

Thanks guys.. I'm working on the right front and thinking twice about the rear.. yeah, I had read the posts over and over.. I guess I lack the experience, so I try to look for minor details.. I've gotten up to that part with the snap ring.. But I guess I need a press to do the rest.. So does Carquest install the bearings in if I drop it off or do they only press it out..?? j/w.. Thanks a bunch..

powerplay

The rears are much easier. Totally different from the front.

So does Carquest install the bearings in if I drop it off or do they only press it out..??

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts