The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Running crazy rich.

chrisfullwood

Hi guys,

finally got my car back running again.
did a bunch of stuff, it was running rich a while back last time i drove it, now its running crazy rich, i drove maybe 2 miles, and let it idle for about 5 minutes, and the plugs are completely fouled, completely black.

i put an aeromotive fuel pressure regulator. I was told a long time ago, that putting my car back together i should have my Fuel Pressure at about 43psi at idle?

i currently have NGK - BPR6ES plugs.
i looked at getting colder ones, but apparently those will foul easier?

A little help would be great, I have just re-done a bunch of vacuum hoses, they should all be tight.

chrisfullwood

Ok, ill pull it down a little. Keydiver suggested having it at 43, to go with the other stuff i have.

2G mas, 550cc injectors, E3 turbo, big bore throttle body, ported/polished head, cylinders bored to .040" over. and i have one of his chips.
Apparently no-one in town has the BP7ES's in stock.... they have 6's and 8's only.

to adjust me fuel pressure regulator, do i need to remove the vacuum/boost source before adjusting the screw?

Last edited:

chrisfullwood

hmm ok. I got it to run, but its surging. and sitting at 43psi. But i also forgot to mention that it has a walboro 255 in it.

Update----

ok, so i went outside, at the surging idle i have on it, it was sitting around 43psi. so i undid the vacuum source, it went up to like 65, so i backed it down to 42 (going from recommendations on the psi for my computer chip - keydiver) so now at idle its like 30 ish... so hopefully that will get it taken care of.

thanks

Last edited:

SleepinGVR4

OK, number one I don't know why Jeff told you to set your base fuel pressure at 43psi. The base idle fuel pressure is supposed to be set at 37. This is what he told me in the past, and for our cars the base idle FP is supposed to be set at 37.

Number two. You disconnect the vacuum source to your FPR and put your finger over the vacuum line (do this while car is idling). While your still holding your finger over the vacuum line your going to adjust your fuel pressure and back it down to 37psi. When you reattach the vacuum source your FP will jump up a little bit. This is to be expected because your base FP is supposed to be set with out a vacuum source.

BTW if you don't have a logger, you need to get one and see where your fuel trims are at. I hope this helps your rich problem. If your car is running pig rich and you continue to drive it like that you will eventually damage your engine.

Last edited:

chrisfullwood

Hey, im in the process of checking a few other things, i rechecked the plugs and they looked alot better, no huge build up of soot. But ill pull that back down again. but its still surging.

On the logged, i had one, but the battery died, and i havent found a replacement, really havent wanted to by another Palm... The last time i hooked one up, i got no information from it, it was showing my car always at like 8k rpm.. and no other information. This was before i had the chip made.

anyway, my ISC is covered in soot... and its reading 33.0 - 33.3 on all the pins, i know it supposed to be 0.28 - 0.33 ohms, so 33.3 as the high, would that cause the surge?

ill clean it up, and put it back, then lower the PSI again.

thanks
chris

turbowop

Regardless of what the car's original base fuel pressure is, it needs to be set to whatever the chip is setup for. If Jeff based the injector calculations off of a 43psi base fuel pressure setting, that's where it needs to be, etc. It would be a good idea to find out.

chrisfullwood

well thats what i was thinking, but since turning it down, the idle evened out.

however i will check out my old information on it, and see what it was set at.

thanks for the advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FlyingEagle

Staff member
That higher pressure is going to allow you to get a little more flow out of the injectors, pretty sure Jeff would have all that accounted for.
It is good that you have that pressure dialed down to the proper level. Odd that you cannot get a BPR7ES plug anywhere local. Get NAPA or the equivalent to order some in.

chrisfullwood

yea i just realized i forgot to order them, usually my local store stocks them, but for the first time they werent available.

I guess ill need to get a new ISC, its pushing the limit on its resistance. I tried unplugging it, and the RPM's skyrocketed to 2200.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned