The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

RTV recommendation for the transmission cover

jnava

Staff member
I just replaced the output shaft due to tcase failure. Don't want to use the wrong one and end up with a catastrophic failure due to sealing problem with the rtv.

dsmtalontsi95

Oil resistant. I think that's the black kind.

jnava

Staff member
cool, I bought the black rtv, plus I purchased Pennzoil syncromesh, anything on the tcase? I just installed the cover and it started raining so the tcase install will be delayed until tomorrow ...

jnava

Staff member
no problem, after some searching, I found a few options. Thanks. Galant should be up and ready to start tuning this upcoming week. I've waited too long..

Terry Posten

Quoting turbowop:
I use grey for everything on the car.

This

CutlassJim

Quoting turbowop:

Yup!

My friend works at a Mitsu dealer and they use Permatex Grey from the parts department.

broxma

Permatex Grey or Honda Bond. Also the Subaru sealant is pretty good stuff.

/brox

mitsuturbo

Quoting turbowop:

So do I. So does every technician at the dealership. It's pretty much the standard for any mitsubishi. I don't know why anybody would ever use anything else, unless they simply don't know any better. Ultra Grey is the sh*t!

DynastyLCD

toyotabond FTW..... best stuff i've ever used for anything.

sometimes it works too good though. its RTV on roids. ask for the oil pan version, they make a transmission one too, but im not sure if it was designed for auto trans or not, and its another 10 bucks at the local Toyota dealer.

mitsuturbo

Too spendy. Permatex grey is cheap and does the job just fine. There's no good reason to spend over $10 for a tube of sealant.

jnava

Staff member
I used the black one and after running down the hood a few times, no signs of any problems. Thanks for the responses.

Galantvr41062

Black is good also. I use gray for coolant and my tranny, and black for the oil pan, and either copper spray or ultra copper on exhaust.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned