The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

RS swapped car owners?

hosmer

Just wondering how many other RS swapped cars are on the board

-and I mean the real deal RS, not the 200hp Jdm motor or the 220hp motor with the cyclone intake

4Grim

The motor in 1948 is a read deal "RS" 4G63t which was swapped in 4 years ago. It came with the standard RS stuff like the 510cc yellow top injectors and 16g, etc etc and got a real good deal for it from a Japanese importer. Paid $3500 for the RS motor and transmission and had the transmission fully rebuilt by TRE.

hosmer

My swap was a front end cut w/out the bodypanels so I got the oem oil cooler and bigger ic (which has been changed out for an ets setup)

Some of the keen local dsm crowd picks up on the intake manifold and valve cover.

It doesnt really matter unless you plan on keeping the car mostly stock.

510s, a cyclone, and a 16g don't really matter for bragging rights unless its 1997.

hosmer

They don't have cyclone intake manifolds....

They also don't seem to have as many damn vacuum lines as I noticed while helping a friend last weekend

brisvr4

That RS pic is a dual runner manifold which is the same as a cyclone.
Just doesn't have the same name on it.
The single runner units have rectangular runners whilst the duals are rounder.
PS. The guy who posted that info didn't even know the difference between a RS cooler and a std Jspec unit.

Last edited:

H05TYL

This threads funny.

Anything that left the factory in RS trim is a "real deal" RS, whether it's 205, 220 or 240hp.

and really it makes no difference whether you get a 16G and 510's from an "evo" spec vr4, or an evo lancer.
You can swap all the engine parts / driveline, strip the sound deadening, fit wind up windows, etc, and it still won't make your car a real RS (not even if you put an RS sticker on it).

oh and evo RS vr4's still have the dual runner manifold with the butterflies, it just doesn't have cyclone written on it - trap for beginners. Pretty sure the vacuum lines are the same as a regular jdm vr4 too.

RedTwo

WTF? VR4 RS auto I'd like to see one of those...
That DSM tuners thread has some really wacky 'facts' in there.

DailyDSM

Funny that I saw this thread. I ordered a JDM engine off ebay last weekend as a "cheap" fix to get my car back on the road while I rebuild my stroker. I ordered it from an importer who probably has a bunch of 4g63ts sitting around so I knew it was a crap shoot as to what I would get. It just arrived today and it happened to be an RS engine with yellow top injectors and a 16g. As long as it runs, I'll be happy. I see it as a nice little bonus. Although, I suppose there is a better chance it was ragged on so who knows.

-Tim

gtluke

mine has the RS trans and rear end. pretty much nobody else has that here.

ApexHunter

1951's got RS trans and rear end. Credit goes to RTSGVR-4 for doing that while he had it.

Quoting hosmer:
They don't have cyclone intake manifolds....

They also don't seem to have as many damn vacuum lines as I noticed while helping a friend last weekend

He comparing his JDM RS to MY USDM one

Quoting gtluke:
mine has the RS trans and rear end. pretty much nobody else has that here.

I know a few local people that have that too.

H05TYL

^^^ as in 4 bolt mech LSD?

I've got a pair of 3 bolt mech lsd's from non-Evo spec RS's.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned