The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TRANNY GURUS NEED HELP! JDM-RS TRANNY

I have a Galant VR4 JDM-RS and unfortunately i blew my tranny last week-end. I had it towed and pulled down the tranny, opened it up and saw my first gear in bad shape, missing tooth, and a few seized bearings. But other than the ones mentioned all seems ok. I tried sourcing a JDM RS tranny but no luck...I know someone is selling one at the FS section but chances of getting it is slim since i reside at Philippines.

So im left with no choice but to try and search for other possible ways...

Here's a few questions that i want to ask..

>Is it possible to get a the 1st gear from a non-rs AWD JDM tranny and slap it on my existing RS-Core?

>Or i can i just use the non-rs AWD jdm core and use the JDM differential to match the gear ratio on my rear? How do i match gear ratios using a different core?

I have a few non rs AWD jdm trannies around, i opened one and compared the gears and they are different....

ANY SUGGESTIONS AND INPUTS WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED.

TIA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

1gnasty

i don't see why not the dif between the tyranny's is the final drive, it will be the same as when people put gvr4 1st on t/e/l's well make sure to use a t/e/l 1st will not be as long as the gvr4 on, because the rs tranny has a close gear ratio u don't want 1st and 2nd to close to each other

OldHairyBastard

You can switch but the problem is that the diff gear out of an RS is bigger "more teeth" so you will have to use the RS case with the other gear set. The GVR4 trans cases are smaller in the front diff area and the RS gear will not fit inside. If you have them both apart you can try this and see that the RS gear hits on the machined lip of the GVR4 trans case. Just take the gear set out of the other case and match up the shims good for the proper play in the bearings and slap her back in. You will have different gear ratios as in 1st, 2cnd, 3rd, 4th & 5th some of these are the same but I know for sure that 1st is different.

Doug

Thanks for the replies.

Just to confirm...its better to install the whole non-rs core on the RS tranny housing than mix matching gears like putting just the 1st gear on my exisiting rs core? I dont have t/e/l trannies here in our country. Only JDM GVR4 trannies

Also, im going to install a fully built balanced and blue printed motor with cams, SMIM, dual springs and with FP3065 soon....which is more compatible a close gear ratio tranny or a standard gear ratio tranny? I was thinking that a close gear ratio would finish up the gears easily and will just result on more shifting.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just an update...no way i can fit the non rs core on a rs final drive....they just wouldn't match. Im no tranny expert but gears spacing are far different.

Any more suggestions?

OldHairyBastard

You have to use the RS diff and drive gear in order to make it work. all of the rest of the gears must be out of the other trans including the center diff or the gears will not match up and you will have to place them into the RS trans case. Just to clarify You have to use the RS case, RS front diff, drive gear that is out of the RS which is the little gear that the front diff is driven off of & all of the rest of the gears need to come from the donor trans including the center diff.

Doug

Doug... Tell us why you know so much on this subject. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bimmubishi

http://www.dentsport.com/gallery/v/dsg/tech/w5m33/GearBox+Code.doc.html

(word doc that you can DL)

The ratios on the RS trans are different, which is why you're having trouble. You might be able to use 1st from an Evo 1-3 but I'm no guru myself. I think that the Evo has double syncro 2nd and the gears themselves might be wider. I know when I swapped 5th from an RS trans I have to my Evo gearbox that it was about 2mm narrower.

OldHairyBastard

Your funny!!! $^&*@#(*$&(#$&)#&$()#.--Viscous eliminator anyone?
Quote:
Doug... Tell us why you know so much on this subject. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts