The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Robbies 1137/2000 build

Mdlimy

The car is now running Speed Density on the aem ems, I have yet to drive with boost, I am still waiting for my BOV to arrive.

I bought a godpseed cast t3 manifold on ebay for $120 bucks, gonna give it a try with the super 20g I have.

Started working on a downpipe for the 20g, it has to be custom since the HRC super 20g uses a stupid small outlet turbine housing with an internal gate. Ill be welding the internal gate shut, porting the outlet and welding a 3" vabnd right onto the housing.
IMG_2616.JPG

92_talon_awd

Lookin good man. I hope you like that 20g. I had one on my 1g and upgraded to a hx35. I forever wished I had never spent the money on the Hahn.

Mdlimy

I would never buy one new or spend much on one but I got it for 250 bucks with custom stainless lines, I figured I'll use it until I have forged internals and can afford to install my gt3582r. I'll end up selling the 20g with the cast manifold and down pipe and all the bits to make it a somewhat bolt on affair for someone, should get my money back out of it.
They are such a bastard size turbo, terrible sized inlets and outlets on both the compressor and turbine. Hopefully using an ewg will help a bit with high back pressure these things cause.
I did have good luck with this turbo on my previous Volvo though.

92_talon_awd

TDO5H-10CM2 turbine with the TDO6H-20G compressor. I bought mine used also, just found it to be extremely laggy.

Mdlimy

10cm2, isn't big but it also isn't small, but this is the reason that turbo is capable of decent numbers.
Im suprised you found it to be laggy, especially since you swapped to an hx35, what housing?

I made 420ft/lb at 17psi on my 2.3l Volvo motor, i saw full boost by about 3500, I was fairly happy.

I forgot to post these pictures, all the plumbing is pretty much done. Now i really need to work on cleaning up hoses and sh*t!

IMG_2610.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

Mdlimy

The cheap ebay Evo3 radiator was a direct fit with only minor modifications needed. The temp sensor screwed right in, the stock fan bolted right up, hoses lined up perfect and the alignment pins fit perfect.

-It sits about 3/4" lower than the stock rad, so you either need to space it up from the bottom or just make new upper mounts.
-The threaded standoffs for the fan are too long, cut about a 1/4" off and the fan will sit much closer, all though still a small gap around the perimeter that could use some sticky foam to help seal. But the stock fan sucks anyways, so don't bother and just install a decent aftermarket one.

I will let you guys know how it holds up quality wise. I suspect as long as I don't over pressurize the system(ie, too hot or blown hg) it will hold up ok. Only time will tell. But for $120 shipped and at my door in 4 days, I cant complain about anything.

Here is the link
click

Last edited:

92_talon_awd

Very nice, I just put an ebay radiator in mine today too haha. I had the BEP housing on my holset, spooled up considerably faster than my Hahn. I like that white valve cover, I'm going to get mine powerdercoated and having a hard time deciding between factory and white.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Making all your own pipes too? Fabrications look great.

Mdlimy

I'm gonna pick up another valve cover and add some breather fittings on it and have it powder coated white, I painted this one, not very happy with it, but I do like the white.

Yes iceman, all the fabrication is done by me in my garage.

Got home from work, excited to put the bov on and go drive the car. It wouldn't start, gave a bit of a kickback. Looking at timing it appears the belt jumped, turning the motor over by hand I can feel a piston kissing a valve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Words couldn't express how pissed I was 3 hours ago...I got on the bike and rode away, it's amazing what a ride will do to clear the mind! Cleaning up the garage now and then I'll tear into it :/

All brand new timing belt components, no idea how this happened.

Mdlimy

Sad Panda /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Fairly certain i had a nasty backfire from base timing being off when setting up SD on the aem, and that caused it to jump...like a bazillion(3) teeth!
IMG_2633.JPG

Compression on cyl 4 is 130 and leakdown test shows 50% leak out the exhaust valve. Oh well.

Got my ebay tial 50mm knock off blow off valve. I used one on my bmw and had good luck. Here some pics of what to expect with cheap ebay sh*t, luckily its nothing that affects the way it functions and all the sealing surfaces and orings/diaphrams look good.
IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2620.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

Mdlimy

Everything still looks good, didnt really see any marks of the valves kissing the pistons...but a couple of the exhaust valves looked like they were barley not seating so i figured i would replace them with a couple stainless valves out of the used head i picked up....Nope, it has 1mm os valves lol.

So now im contemplating swapping heads since the other head would only need a resurface and assembly and i would have 1mm os valves.

It has crower springs and retainers in it so now im wonder if it has cams, but i dont know how to ID them....

Can anyone help? Im researching right now...

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

Mdlimy

Update time!

Turns out those were stock cams, oh well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Got the motor back together and running.

As you can see in the pictures i hacked apart the stupid HRC s20g turbine housing and welded a 3" vband on it. Made a custom downpipe.
A few temporary things going on in the engine bay at the moment, like lines/hoses, lack of heatshield and half wrapped intercooler pipe lol. Dont judge me, i just want to make sure it runs and drives properly before buttoning everything up and making it clean!

I got the cop setup on, and i have a dyna arc 2 on the way.....By the way, does everyone realize how cheap they are now? I picked up a brand new arc 2 and universal wiring kit for under 200 bucks on amazon...

IMG_2666.JPG

IMG_2667.JPG

IMG_2680.JPG

IMG_2696.JPG

IMG_2705.JPG

Mdlimy

I have been majorly slacking on updating this thread...things got a bit out of hand recently, here is what I mean....

So now I have a few things left like plumbing an oil cooler, finishing the downpipe under the motor, welding up an aluminum exhaust system, and a few other odds and ends.

Mdlimy

Made a tube subframe this evening. I will add some bars later. This will give me some room to run my hotside charge pipe down low away from the radiator and downpipe. Tommorrow I will be modfifying a couple lifters to be solid adjustable so I can time my cams.
Also bought an aem CDI so I can put the COP back on.

Really fighting the urge to redo all my charge pipes in 3" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

strokin4dr

Very nice!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned