The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ring Gaps

ronnycordova

I'm just curious as to what sort of ring gaps other people are running on their builds.

My FSM lists the following for gaps:

Ring 1: .20-.80mm
Ring 2: .45-.80mm
Oil Ring: .20-1.00mm

My ring 1 is right at .254mm but ring 2 is running even closer than that and my oil ring is almost overlapping itself. It seems odd to me that ring 1 is spot on and the other two are way off from spec. I wanted to get some input or thoughts before I go ahead and file down the other two rings to specs.

Last edited:

fuel

I would just put it down to manufacturing tolerances.

DynastyLCD

ring gap could have a few variables. has your engine been honed? what brand rings are you using?

i just re-did the engine for my DD Talon this spring, when i went to put everything together, i found that my rings were on the looser end of the spectrum. not a problem to me as i like to run high boost levels. these were NPR rings. ironically, my friend bought the same set, and said he had the same issue.

ronnycordova

Block was done .020 over and the rings I assume came with the pistons which are Arias. I bought the block already prepped with the parts still in the boxes. The rings were in with the pistons so I haven't a clue what brand they are if they didn't come with them but Arias usually come with a set.

Defiant

There should be a sheet that comes with the pistons advising what gaps to use for what applications, it's a matter of mathematical equation based on your cylinder diameter and the type of abuse it's intended to take ( basically the amount of heat it will take as more heat = more expansion of the parts and needing more gap the hotter it's going to get)

DynastyLCD

when i got my Ross pistons, they didn't give me gaps. i had to call the company. the guys at Ross were extremely helpful, and they were great to deal with. if you speak to Arias, and explain to them your setup, fuel choice, boost level, etc, they will give you a ring gap that suits your needs. that's what Ross did for me.

ronnycordova

I'll have to check with them, they may have come with some paperwork that wasn't given to me but hard to say. Thanks.

Street Surgeon

Arias pistons eh, geez that's a blast from my 300ZX past /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I don't think I've ever met a DSMer that's used Arias pistons before.

alansupra94

I remember talking to a few machinists and they told me that if you run higher boost, you should run looser gaps. The only downside they said is that you burn a little bit of oil at idle.

Brianawd

I gapped my Arias at .019top .024 bottom and I used a 4.5tho Piston to wall clearance.

ronnycordova

Quoting Brianawd:
I gapped my Arias at .019top .024 bottom and I used a 4.5tho Piston to wall clearance.

Going by their specs on their website that sounds about right...what kind of boost are you running?

Last edited:

Brianawd

32psi

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned