The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ring gap issue (.045 p2w)

Kenny_Kline

I am having a ring gap issue. I am running wiseco pistons and I set p2w at .0045" The cylinder bores are 3.368". The issue is the run gaps out of the box were top ring .022, 2nd ring .032, oil ring .028.

I am ok with .022 for my first ring but on my 2nd ring and oil ring that's an issue. What do you guys that run .0045 p2w do about this issue? I called wiseco but they said they don't have bigger rings for this other than running a set from a .030 over sized piston ( I have .020 over) and filing them down

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

I'm not too familiar with wiseco pistons, but PTW clearance at .045" seems REALLY huge. Did you mean .0045", perchance?
Also, .022 is fairly big for ring gap, IMO. .032" for the second seems pretty huge as well.

My Mahle setup is running ring gap at .016" top and .018" second with a PTW clearance of just .003". Of course, these are supposed to be low expansion slugs, but a PTW clearance of .045" seems really extreme for ANY piston. For instance, The shop that worked on my block fucked up and did the first one with .006" PTW clearance, and basically rendered my block useless. I had to find a replacement and have it bored/honed per spec. I can't even imagine .045". Pistons would slap around like the 3 stooges in their bores at that size.

Kenny_Kline

Sorry I forgot a zero. Yes it's .0045" p2w. .022 ring gap is fine for top ring. That's what it was out of the box then 2nd ring was .032 out of the box.

You might thing it's a lot or huge but when you're running pump gas in a pte6266 on 35-40psi, and going for 600whp, it's actually pretty tight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned