The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ride height question...

SleepinGVR4

So I just noticed today that the gap between the fender and tire is higher on the passenger side compared to the drivers.

What would cause this? Failed strut? Collapsed spring? Can springs even fail?

My car has KYB AGX's in the rear mated with an older set of H&R springs.

rdomeck

This is the same set up that my car currently has. The shocks or struts being blown won't do anything for ride height. You may have a week spring or a spring that wasn't installed properly. Could have moved on the spring seat!

GSX_TC

^^ I thought that if a strut/shock was blown it gets a bit higher?

dammitjim

The ride height was off side to side when my rear AGXs were blown. I put new rears on and that fixed it.

rdomeck

Quoting GSX_TC:

If a shock or strut is blown or not they should not have any influence on ride height. The ride height is all controlled by the spring, no matter what type of car!

GSX_TC

^^^

then what was Dammitjim talking about then?

marvinmadman

The force that a good shock puts upward is insignificant and shouldn't raise the vehicle or lower it. But sh*t happens and a shock can fail in ways that it could affect ride height. My .02

Last edited:

Quoting rdomeck:
Quoting GSX_TC:

If a shock or strut is blown or not they should not have any influence on ride height. The ride height is all controlled by the spring, no matter what type of car!

Yes, unless you rake the sh*t out of your Chevelle with air shocks. But even then, you are adding an auxiliary spring to the vehicle.

BoostedAWD91

Springs are pretty much all that controls your ride height, besides little things like weight in the car. Springs do crap out, just not to often

SleepinGVR4

Hey Chris nice to hear from you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Well I'm going to pull that strut off after class today, if I can even get it off, and check it out. I do have spare rear set so we'll see.

I'll hit you up and see what your up to later.

BoostedAWD91

yeah its been quite a while since i showed my face on here haha. Ill be off this weekend if you need help

Last edited:

SleepinGVR4

Well I swapped on one of my spare AGX's. The one that was on the car was definitely not working properly but It didn't change how my car sits.

Leads me to think its the springs.

BoostedAWD91

yeah the shocks has nothing to do with the ride height. Jack your car up in the front to where both front springs are not compressed at all and measure them and see if ones shorter than the other. You might or might not be able to see any difference depending on how bad the spring is

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned