The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Reworking a '90 oil filter housing

grocery_getter

Well, for a while now my GVR4 is running a 91 OFH with adapter plate mounted on it for a remote oil filter relocation kit. The oil filter was relocated to the passenger area just in front of the front wheel area under where the stock battery used to be. Ever since removing the ABS pump and having the empty space, I've been wanting to move the oil filter back to the driver side of the car. At the same time I wanted to ditch the 91 OFH and go with the 90 style OFH so I can have the output face towards the driver side.

Obviously this is nothing new since the 90 OFH application is so widespread, the difference in my approached is to use the 90 OFH solely as a vessel to move the oil outwards without having to use it as a place to mount the oil filter itself. Purely as a remote mount adapter. I milled off the threaded boss (where the stock oil filter mounts) and also a big chunk of aluminum where the thermostat valve arrangement is located and tig weld the 2 thermostat valve controlled bypass holes shut. If this weren't done then I would only have oil filtration when the oil is at operating temp instead 100% filtration all the time. Then a round plate is cut to be welded on the oil filter side of the housing to complete the assembly and turn the oil flow 180deg outwards.

So here are some pictures of the old 91 OFH arrangement and some pictures of how I reworked the 90 OFH to accomplished the goal.

bazeng

I a similar setup with my old setup.

Basically I simply shortend the old internal center screw in fitting and cut a thread into it. This allowed me to screw the centre fitting into the housing and then screw the oil filter relocation unit onto it. This saved me a few inches which allowed me to run a larger radius dump pipe.

I actually still have it in the garage!

Then I purchased a forward facing housing and then chopped it apart and welded some -10 fittings directly to the housing. I'll post up some photos when I get a chance.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned