The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rescuing #1862

blackvr4

Car has been good. I would def consider her "rescued"

here are some pics from a few weeks ago that my bro took

galanthdr4.jpg

galanthdr5.jpg

galanthdr2-1.jpg

galanthdr1.jpg

galanthdr3.jpg

Still wanna get rid of the Defi gauges and put in Z series autometer oil pressure/boost gauge.

Also I cut the springs but i think I might have cut them too much, car drives like garbage I just was a little curious what it would ride like, hopefully ill be getting Tein S-techs soon and a few other little odds and ends.

turbowop

It probably rides like ass because you cut waaaay too much spring off and the front is riding on the bumpstops.

You're pulling out Defi gauges to install Autometers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

blackvr4

Yea i def cut way too much spring off, It's ok tho before I cut the springs it sat really wierd. and it sits wierd now, i was gonna cut the springs or get new springs.

and yea I hate the defi gauges the car came with, they are white face and light up green. they just look gaudy. I just want to get black Z series gauges, Not to mention the defi gauges I have now are exhaust temp and boost. I think an oil pressure gauge would be more important than an EGT gauge for me.

blackvr4

actually I'm not too sure, because they came installed in the car. All I know is that they are all electronic and connect to a box (Defi controller?) that replays and holds peaks.

blackvr4

Havent updated this in a long time. After cutting the springs on this car, I realized how gay it was, so I replaced the springs with Megan Racing spring for a talon, I still think the drop is too much.

My bro snapped a few pics of it a week ago.

189_2393.jpg

hdr32__tonemapped.jpg

hdr12_3__tonemapped.jpg

1And2hdrmore_tonemapped.jpg

hdr22_3_tonemapped.jpg

189_2396.jpg

hdr42__tonemapped.jpg

My plans right now are to change the steering wheel to a 2G 3000GT wheel, maybe change the springs for another set of talon springs, probably Eibachs, get a 16g, DSMlink, eprom ecu, and a starion intercooler. But other than that the car runs great! had it out last night in the snow for some fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Ill also prolly have to make rear adjustable camber arms which shouldnt be too hard.

I think this car has officially been rescued /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jcgalntvr4-244

Looks nice man good save!. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

2of9

awesome pics and awesome save! Very nice job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

pwrneeds90

I like the last pic of when the car was in the woods looks sick

1qkfwd

Nice save man. These cars are so old yet everytime I see one like this I get butterflies. Its looking good. I have a close number #1868. I just wish mine was as clean.

blackvr4

This car is pretty clean, but I have been guilty of not washing it since the day i got it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I think im going to get it detailed really soon!

Hey guys I was thinking about buying a starion intercooler you guys think it'll be good enough for a 16G and around 20psi? I'd get an ETS kit but I feel like it might be too much money if I'm only planning the 16G route right now.

Whoodoo

With an intercooler, i'm not gonna say bigger is better because if you go too big, then you sacrifice throttle response and power at low boost. What I will say is this: Colder air equals more reliable power. With 20psi on a quick spooling turbo like a 16g, the ETS kit is perfect. If you're looking to save money, you may even find going with the starion cooler isn't that much cheaper unless you fabricate the piping yourself. You might save a couple hundred bucks if you do, but I think the ETS will greatly outperform it.

blackvr4

The starion intercooler can be had for 30-40dollars. Then you cut the pipes off your stock intercooler weld them onto the starion IC, I have a guy that can do those welds for around 30 dollars. Then you use the stock piping. For ~60 dollars you would have an FMIC, maybe not an FMIC that will put your car into the 10s, but I think it def would be an upgrade over the stock IC. I just don't want to drop 500 to 600 dollars on a used ETS kit and only run a 16G on the car, at that point I might as well go all out with a borg warner and a ridiculous fuel system.

Last edited:

Whoodoo

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I didn't realize it could be that cheap. I guess I thought you'd at least have to make custom lower piping. Shoot, if it really is that cheap I'd do it myself. How is the mounting situation? No cutting of the USDM bumper? No making a new hood latch support? Jeez I guess my inner noob is showing through cuz I haven't even searched it yet and am asking all these questions... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Whoodoo

Ok, to make up for my newb-ness, I did a search. Its cheap sure, but apparently doesn't have inner fins. Its a step up, but for a similar price, you might be able to do an evo intercooler? I didn't search real hard on that, but from the pics I've seen of them, they look to be pretty similar and I would think the evo piece would do a much better job.

4Grim

Great job on rescueing her and getting her back on the road..the car looks happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The pics you took look great man!

blackvr4

Quoting Whoodoo:
Ok, to make up for my newb-ness, I did a search. Its cheap sure, but apparently doesn't have inner fins. Its a step up, but for a similar price, you might be able to do an evo intercooler? I didn't search real hard on that, but from the pics I've seen of them, they look to be pretty similar and I would think the evo piece would do a much better job.

I do have the evo IC that the car came with, just not installed but it looks like it needs a little more modification to make the stock piping work in the stock location. The evo piece is really nice But I think it will need more welding, like you have to get the inlet/outlet welded shut and then run different pipes at the bottom of the end tanks, it might be a lot of welds. I guess i'll decide which route to go in the distant future.

blackvr4

Quoting 4Grim:
Great job on rescueing her and getting her back on the road..the car looks happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The pics you took look great man!

LOL Thanks man! shes a pretty nice 4door, way more roomier than my talon

mountaineerjeff

Quoting blackvr4:

I do have the evo IC that the car came with, just not installed but it looks like it needs a little more modification to make the stock piping work in the stock location. The evo piece is really nice But I think it will need more welding, like you have to get the inlet/outlet welded shut and then run different pipes at the bottom of the end tanks, it might be a lot of welds. I guess i'll decide which route to go in the distant future.

how bout flipping the intercooler over? the evo 8 is a pretty simple install there should be a write up on here somewhere

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned