The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rebirth of #1759

DynastyLCD

hell yeah Mike! although, the car looks better in person /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

keep up the good work brother!!!

turbowop

Looks awesome! I want a set of headlights like that in a bad way.

Not to be a downer, but your lip has the same flaw on the passenger side that mine and Mike's had, and is part of the reason I pulled mine off the car. I honestly think it just looks better without it. I wish it flowed better with the car, but I'm glad I took mine off. I think your car would look better without it as well, but that's just me. The car looks very tidy otherwise. Super clean!

DynastyLCD

i meant to add, Mike, i ran a similar FMIC and radiator setup on 73/1000. i was able to keep my temps PERFECT, around 180-195 max on summer days. i used a 160 thermostat, and i had the fans wired to be on anytime the key is on. i was also running water only. the hottest it ever got according to the autometer temp gauge, was 200 sitting in traffic on a 90 degree day. i think my radiator was an even thinner core than yours too. hope that helps a little!

bobdole

Wow car looks great. Great job.

dustyduff

Quoting turbowop:
Not to be a downer, but your lip has the same flaw on the passenger side that mine and Mike's had, and is part of the reason I pulled mine off the car.

Thanks Mark. The sad part is that I never really noticed it until you pointed it out. You're referring to the passenger side of the lip where it meets the inner fender lining? It looks like its "bowed in" a little. I thought you were going to point out the chips on the lower driver side of the lip where I scraped coming in my driveway.

Quoting DynastyLCD:
i meant to add, Mike, i ran a similar FMIC and radiator setup on 73/1000. i was able to keep my temps PERFECT, around 180-195 max on summer days. i used a 160 thermostat, and i had the fans wired to be on anytime the key is on. i was also running water only. the hottest it ever got according to the autometer temp gauge, was 200 sitting in traffic on a 90 degree day. i think my radiator was an even thinner core than yours too. hope that helps a little!

Thanks for the insight Phil. The setup is not ideal right now, but I'm working on it. The car currently has no thermostat in it (I know, I know) and I'm using Prestone 50/50 mix. I wanted to avoid wiring the fan on full time. I'm not logging the temps, but DSMLink is wired to throw the CEL for temps ~230 F and it sometimes comes on during highway cruises. I'm planning on ditching the smaller radiator and putting a AFCO Scirroco radiator in along with the thermostat.

Thanks for the compliments guys (including bobdole). I'm thankful to get compliments from guys with cars that are equally clean/tidy as mine to know I'm worthy!!

Last edited:

turbowop

I'm talking about the whole passenger side along the bottom of the bumper. The lip curves under a lot more than the other side and just looks weird. I tried to make it better with no luck.that, and the angle it sits at from the side always looked funny to me.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Quoting dustyduff:
The car has been driving perfectly fine since the bearing replacement. The car is still "relatively" quick on low boost (~13 lbs), but I've got a track day scheduled for October 1st and hopefully crank up the wick. The car tends to overheat on long trips due to the fact that my intercooler covers about 85% of that small 1/2 size civic radiator. I plan on replacing the radiator and getting the car tuned on pump/race gas mix which was my original plan.

The car looks gorgeous. I love what you did with it.

As far as the radiator setup goes you shouldn't have to wire it to be on all the time. You can put in a switch and turn it on whenever you're stuck in traffic.
You must of seen the radiator setup I had it in before but just in case you didn't click here
I had an ETS intercooler.

desant78

^well put. And I agree, every time I see the car, its stunning every time. The best is last friday when I spotted at work this car...

ade

WOW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Did you ever dyno the car or run it at the track?

dustyduff

Quoting iLLeffeKt vr-4:
Did you ever dyno the car or run it at the track?

Unfortunately no.......after I had the spun bearing, I decided to just throw another set of bearings in the car and hope for the best. That didn't last very long though (only a few weeks/months). I had to limp my car to East Coast Mod last year.

New motor should be going into the car this month:

2.3L (Wiseco HD (9:1)/Manley I-Beams) and swapping out the BC cams for Kelford 272s.

Going to take my time with the car this time around and do a proper break in before beating on it.

mitsuturbo

The car looks damn nice. I can't say i care for the unpainted hood, but i guess that's a popular "look". I also don't care for the front "lip"; as Mark said, it doesn't flow well with the rest of the vehicle. The headlights look absolutely fantastic. Your car looks FAR better than mine does. I'm jealous. I hope to one day get paint and body done so it'll look more like yours, but that means i'm going to have to find JDM bumpers and hood. Ugh.

The brakes look fantastic behind those wheels. I'm about to do the same thing. I just need to order the rotors, as i have everything else. How is the pedal effort/feel with that setup? Are you running the stock master?

How well did your breather setup work? I decided to go with a more "sealed" route with mine, incorporating an oil separator. So far it works REALLY well.

Street Surgeon

Car looks great man awesome work, the only changes I would make are having the hood painted and the lip removed. Nice ride though!

dustyduff

Thanks guys. Mark had to point out the issue with the lip that I never really noticed until he showed me, but I agree that it's a little much for the car. I'm going to try the Hyundai $40 lip to see how it looks with the JDM bumper. I ordered the last one available from Rock Auto.

The hood was re-cleared when it was at the paint shop, and turned out awesome so I decided to not have it painted. Personal preference, but I like the CF hood adds to the darker look of the front end since the headlights are done.

I'll be sure to update the thread as soon as I have the car back with the 2.3L.

dc_style

huge fan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

i agree about the lip as well. not to whore out my car as of late but i do have a hyundai lip on my jdm bumper. it tapers off at the end which works well with the bumper, it's not perfect but not shabby for 40 bucks. check out my thread "dipped 808" for more pics.

looks great tho!! love the headlights, that's my next to do. keep it up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

dustyduff

Quoting dc_style:
not to whore out my car as of late but i do have a hyundai lip on my jdm bumper.

Sweet.....I didn't even realize you had the lip with the JDM bumper. There were only pictures of USDM bumpers and the lip on the thread I found. I'm actually looking forward to putting it on the car now. Looks good, but wish it extended to the ends of the bumper a little more.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

I'm decidedly not a fan of the "dipped" look, but i have to concur that the hyundai lip on that car looks very nice, and flows well with the rest of the lines of the vehicle.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned