The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rebirth of #1759

iLLeffeKt vr-4

It's ALIVVVEEEEE

DynastyLCD

wow, i just read through this whole thread....

holy baller build, Mike! this thing looks AWESOME!!! congrats on first startup!

time to put some miles on that bish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

desant78

^ agreed! possible south jersey crew to DSM-Shootout...?

dustyduff

Just a little more progress. I still have a lot of interior work to do and chase down a grounding issue with the car. For some reason my AEM wideband reads lean no matter how much fuel is thrown at it. Bought a replacement sensor today and hope it corrects the problem. Once these issues are ironed out, she'll be ready for road tuning. Just got the tags and registration done on Friday.

Mounted the "Legnum VR4" emblem symbol on the Eterna Grill

Got the HIDs and fogs wired up too. Still need to get the aiming adjusted, but it looks absolutely sick!!!

My buddy Steve who did all the fab work is starting a garage and I gave him the go-ahead to use his logo on the airbox

Going on vacation starting next Saturday, but hope to have the car on the road and driving before the middle of May. Stay tuned!!!!

Captn

It looks so good, congratz...

I want that grille, if you get sick of it ever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif let me know.

nsin

Deng very awesome! I love the look. Keep up the good work!

dustyduff

Ran into a significant problem in the last week. My buddy has been tuning the car for me in the past two weeks. Everything started out fine on wastegate pressure (~13 lbs) with strictly pump gas and was able to get a few miles on the car. The car seemed to pull great and no signs of knock. Started tuning the car using the race gas mix (secondary fuel pump switch over point at 13lbs) using V3, and the tune looked great. Car seemed be responding excellent to the setup and everything seemed perfect. Started the car on Friday and heard my worst nightmare.......rod knock.

I wonder which one it is.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Luckily the crank journal seems perfectly fine and the oil pickup did it's job.

I'm sure people would advise against this, but I'm just ordering a set of bearings and throwing them in. I think we caught it early enough and haven't driven the car, so I don't believe it will be a problem with the new bearings. The shop that originally built the motor never gave me a spec sheet on the build. I don't think that they properly torqued the #4 rod bearing. I forget what bearings I used on the build (ACL or Clevite). The other ones appear to be perfrectly fine, but the coating on the #4 bearing is completely gone. Hope to have her back on the road by this weekend.

Noobsauce

How are the mains? If the rods are crap might want to take the time to check those out also. Who knows maybe it wasn't knock that fried the bearings. How was the oil pressure? Do you have a real oil pressure guage?

dustyduff

Noobsauce: You're 100% right that it may not have been knock that caused the bearing failure. All of the rod bearings were perfect except the #4 bearing, so the mains were not removed and inspected.

Unfortunately, I don't have an oil pressure gauge, however I will likely be picking one up in the near future. I doubt it was excessive oil pressure, but could have been lack of oil pressure since the #4 is the furthest from the pump. The fact that all of the other bearings are perfect, I'm thinking that it was likely installation error (i.e too tight/loose). I'm going to throw a new set of bearings in and pray for the best.

I have a spare built 2.3L motor with a spun bearing sitting in the garage that will be rebuilt while I drive the car for now (hoping it will last a few thousand miles or longer). Only time will tell if the assumption for installation error is correct.

desant78

I saw this car in person today, and it is absolutely stunning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif pictures don't do the head lights justice. Keep up the good work Mike.

Last edited:

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Did you get it running again?

dustyduff

Had the bearings replaced and so far so good. Drove the car from Egg Harbor NJ to Mantua yesterday in the extreme heat. It's getting inspected on Friday and then should see a lot more road time.

I'm going to get some higher resolution photos this weekend after a good wash.

GSX_TC

Lookin good buddy

dustyduff

Well, the new bearings are holding up just fine so far. It was nice this morning, so I took her on a nice drive and give the car a wash. The only picture of the car complete is the one above from my cell phone above, so here are some better quality photos with a real camera. Hope you like pics, because I took a ton of them.

The headlights are aimed WAY too high and need to be adjusted, so no night time shots yet.

LIV4PSI

It does look awesome. I like the EVO wheels on your car more than any other GVR4 I have seen them on. I can't wait until I have the money to blow on some Lightwerks headlights.

Nartanian

Mighty fine looking gvr4.

dustyduff

It must have been the weather this past weekend that inspired all these "photoshoots". I figured I'd post up some of the pictures that my co-worker/friend took of my car this past Friday after staring at Nelson's beautiful car the past few days. My buddy used a tripod and a higher resolution camera than the pics I took two months ago. I thought they came out really well.

The car has been driving perfectly fine since the bearing replacement. The car is still "relatively" quick on low boost (~13 lbs), but I've got a track day scheduled for October 1st and hopefully crank up the wick. The car tends to overheat on long trips due to the fact that my intercooler covers about 85% of that small 1/2 size civic radiator. I plan on replacing the radiator and getting the car tuned on pump/race gas mix which was my original plan.

The driving lights are also wired up and functional now as you'll see in some of the pics.

Engine bay pics will come after I detail and the interior pics will come after I get the headliner replaced in the next month. Enjoy for now!!!

P1010526_1.jpg

P1010540.jpg

P1010562_1.jpg

P1010543.jpg

P1010549.jpg

P1010558.jpg

P1010560.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned