The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear windshield sticker!

cheekychimp

So I had this nice Ralliart rear windshield sticker in the back of the car.

When the car went in for inspection on Monday the examiners said the mechanic had two choices, remove the sticker or fail the test. He tried to remove it but after an hour only had about half of it off. At that point the techs just laughed and said they'd let him pass anyway. Obviously it looks like crap so I'll have to remove the whole thing but the thing that really bothers me is the sticker is UNDERNEATH the de-mister wire circuit that is stuck to the inside of the glass on the passenger side. Is that part removable without damaging the de-mister in the glass? It is going to have to come off to remove the sticker properly but I can't see how.

Which brings me to the question of whether that sticker was really an aftermarket accessory or if the glass was supplied with it fitted.

Any ideas?

G

Staff member
Cheek, car looks awesome. Go buy a small garment steamer. Steam the inside of the window and it will peel right off with out damaging your defroster. >> click

Last edited:

cheekychimp

G, thanks! I had been told that works well, I will definitely try it but the problem is that there is a physical wire that comes out of from behind the interior trim and attaches to a metal plate that is stuck to the glass and which I presume supplies current to the de-mister elements. The windshield sticker is under that. How do I disconnect that plate from the glass to remove the sticker and won't doing that break the connection with the elements and therefore damage the rear de-mister?

misterfixit

Hi Paul,

If you look on your rear screen you'll see three connection tags the lower pair are for the defroster. The upper one is for the radio ariel in the glass.

Disconnect the wires (you must press the centre tang before you slide the connector). You will find its not part of the screen it's just been installed very well. the sticker will have been flicked under in the install process.

If you can get most off, a help can be to use brake cleaner to soften the glue around the tag. be careful not to get it on the plastic trim so use a cotton bud or the like.

Hope this helps,

Rich

IncorpoRatedX

car looks great paul!

G

Staff member
You shouldn't need to disconnect it. Just steam the area and it will soften up and peel right off.

Gizmovr4

Car looks great !! 584 s twin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

prove_it

they must really not like sticker over there huh? Fail the test over that?

cheekychimp

Quoting prove_it:
they must really not like sticker over there huh? Fail the test over that?

^^^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif yeah I guess they aren't Ralliart fans.

They are just interpreting the rule about tint very literally. You can't argue with the wording. It says it is illegal to have anything adhered to the glass but that also makes it technically illegal to stick your registration disk to the windshield /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

You can't argue with these people. If you do they'll just open the hood and get you for something else. I'm pretty sure my '93 headlights shouldn't have passed scrutiny so I'll just let it fly.

Thanks for the comments on the car guys. At least one of my cars is semi-finished /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

And G and Rich thanks for the advice. It's actually pretty cold over here at the moment, but I'll get the steamer in the back of the car and try to finish this a bit later.

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

yes cheekychimp we demand a photo shoot!!! one of a few cars that deserve to be posted everywhere and is not....

Last edited:

89Mirageman

Zero help from me on removing the decal (sounds like others have you covered anyway) but I will agree it's one sweet looking ride!

cheekychimp

Quoting EHmotorsports:
isn't it a Nissan Gtr wing? or GTS?

R32-GTS

And thanks again guys. There are still a few cosmetic details that I want to tidy up. Rear bumper has some scuffs and dings (never ask your wife to help you back the car in !!!) and I need to replace the chrome strip with a black one. I'm flattered though guys, thanks. I'll be sure to post more pictures from now on.

Paul.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Likely removing the chrome strip will be rather intensive. Great taping job and some news paper/plastic covers, and you can spray the strips whatever color you want; like matte black like the door tops. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

cheekychimp

^^^ yeah, you noticed that did you? It looked pretty good when I first did it but it gets so hot over here in the summer it has just bubbled and peeled in places. It would be quite a job replacing the strip but I have a part number for the correct trim now (thanks Mark) so I'll probably tackle that one weekend once we get to the new place where I'll finally have my own enclosed yard/garden to work on the car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned