The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rear brake upgrade

THEKID

does any company make a rear brake kit for the 1g?

No one makes a rear brake upgrade kit.

It's a widely known fact that the 1G FWD/AWD does not need it.

jepherz

Staff member
Does not need it? I definitely disagree. When you're running big front brakes, sticky tires, and a 1g prop valve, larger brakes in the rear can only help make the car feel more at ease.

I have custom 12.5" rotors on the rear of my car with stock calipers. It's not ideal, but it helps a lot.

CP

Quoting jepherz:
When you're running big front brakes, sticky tires, and a 1g prop valve, larger brakes in the rear can only help make the car feel more at ease.

I have custom 12.5" rotors on the rear of my car with stock calipers. It's not ideal, but it helps a lot.

I never had any bias issues with the stock rear brakes, 1G p-valve and a 13" Stoptech setup in front. Check out page 2 of my GVR4 track videos.

jepherz

Staff member
I don't know, I never had a problem locking up just my fronts before, telling me the rear could use improvement.

I'm with Cy. I don't believe that the rear brakes need much improvement, even on a track car. Good slotted rotors, good pads, stainless lines and good fluid are all it needs. Even under HARD braking from 130mph the car is extremely well mannered and I don't think it's going to stop much (if any) faster than it already does.

CP

Weight transfer during threashold braking means the front brakes do 90% of the work, so the rears don't really do much at all.

gtluke

It would be nice if someone made brackets to run at least upDATED calipers. Since ours are always freezing up and look like poop.
But doing that and retaining the e.brake is a pain in the butt

scooter

Im confused here. Tce has the rear upgrade, so why does everybody say nobody has one. Its even linked in this thread. I think there was someone else also. I think it was brake man or something of that nature. Think he made full kits also. I remember him having some of the lightest and craziest shaped rotors ive ever seen.

Im not being a smartass, just dont understand why the tce kit isnt considered a rear upgrade.

strokin4dr

Didn't Digit/MMF have a sweet lightweight brake kit? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

cOmpressor

^^ I found a pic of said kit

Quoting scooter:
Im confused here. Tce has the rear upgrade, so why does everybody say nobody has one. Its even linked in this thread. I think there was someone else also. I think it was brake man or something of that nature. Think he made full kits also. I remember him having some of the lightest and craziest shaped rotors ive ever seen.

Im not being a smartass, just dont understand why the tce kit isnt considered a rear upgrade.

So far only one person in the thread has said that there is no kit available for the rear.

Another person did provide a link to the TCE kit as you pointed out. The only issue with the kit that TCE sells is that there is no way to retain your parking brake with it.

The rest of the discussion back and forth is between whether or not our cars really need a rear brake kit upgrade and whether or not it would have any noticeable effect.

FWIW I had the Baer BBK on the front and now have the Stoptech kit on my car and can't say that I've ever felt that my car needed a rear brake upgrade other than aesthetic reasons so my front rotors don't look so tiny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Daryl

JNR

Didn't Ron make brackets to use Camaro rotors, etc.? Or maybe that was just the front. IMO, a high quality rotor/pad combo and makin sure everything else is up to par (fluid, flex lines - SS) should provide decent performance. Unless you're going large all around (like mega brakes up front and upgrade MC, etc.), then going larger in the rear won't do a whole lot...Adjustable Prop. Valve works good, also.

Last edited:

FCR

Rear brakes upgrade
click

look up hi spec motorsport in england
they make a 4 piston caliper with a cable e-brake
once you've got them just get the rest of the pieces made
my set up is 326mm x 28mm 2 piece rotors
and braided lines then cnc machined brackets
don't let people tell you it can't be done

or alternative 2 is retro fit a drum in hat e-brake from a newer galant or evo
some guys in Austrlia reckon it can be done but i couldn't get parts to test fit and play around with

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned