The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear brake upgrade

Nabeel

I have read about upgrading rear brakes for 1g & gvr4. Not much options and the e-brake make it harder. Some did convert to 3k gt, Evo brembo, Cobra or 96 corvette. All required brackets & major work. Also mostly telling the 1g rear brakes are good enough.
In my case I realized a gab between front & rear braking after fitting the 3k gt front brakes. So I need to find solution.
I am thinking to do upgrade to better brake lines & yellow stuff pads at rear. And I am still not sure if that will make any differences.

Any suggestions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

citymunky

1st gen 3000gt vr4 brake master cyclinder or Infiniti Q45 master brake cyclinder can help.

Nabeel

Master cylinder includes the booster? Is that bolt on or require any modification?
And will that effect both front & rear or only rear?

citymunky

Curtis wrote a thread about this. Master cylinder upgrade time. Done now with pictures

I was going to this route until I pick up a set of rims that will not clear 3000GT brakes, which is why I sold my set. I still have that Q45 master cylinder in the garage.

Nabeel

Interesting... The point is even if I did master cylinder upgrade' I still have gap in breaking between the front & rear. I am looking for rear upgrade to match the breaking with the front 3k gt brakes. If no big change if I used better pads & better brake lines' Then I may have to find at least good calipers add them to old rotors while the old calipers will be used for e-break only. I am thinking about GTR R32/R33 rear calipers or evo if available.

Nabeel

I just come to know that adjustable brake balance valves are exist. Do you think that can increase the rear braking? Or only reducing?

curtis

I bought one of these at a swap meet for mine. Click me

The Q-45 seems to give more front and with me going to the ron's brackets, cobra rotors and Vette calipers, figured this couldn't hurt.

The vette calipers have smaller pistons than the camaro ones so closer to the factory size and bias. With you having 3000gt brakes and 4 pistons your way off from the factory settings.

Do you still have the abs working?

I'll try and find it but theres an old thread about the camaro ws6 brakes and rons brackets that explain all this and the math involved. Be back in a few....

Nabeel

I am running non ABS setup.

Nabeel

I find those caliper at the junkyard from Mercedes S350 I think. It seems good upgrade as it's original rotors has almost similar thickness as our cars. I still not sure how a bracket could be made to mount the new calipers. That will be measured later. I bought them chap. about $110. I may keep the original caliper for e-break only.

Nabeel

Conclusion

It is impossible to clear for bigger calipers without having big rotors. I can keep the original rear calipers for e-break only by fabricating crescent style brackets.

I may do it one day if I got biggir rotors. At least one or inch bigger.

pagosadsm

Try to install 2 calipers on the rear trailing arms,their is no room. I have PBR calipers on the front and rear. I am the person that has the 96 corvette rear calipers and rotor on my 92 Talon. I sent the plans to Jay Racing for the rears. The rear rotors are 12'x3/4 vented.
Rick

FCR

"Try to install 2 calipers on the rear trailing arms,their is no room"
img.php

pagosadsm

Good luke building this set up. With my fabbing skills I did't think it could be done. I had a lot of problems installing the Corvette brakes. Please post photos when you build your brakes. I have photos on DSM tuners in my gallery.
Rick

Nabeel

Will post if I ever make it. I need big rotors any how. And till now I don't know what rotors will fit perfectly.

pagosadsm

go down to the parts house and ask for a book of brake rotors by measerments. Research all of the rotors to find a match. That what I did and dicovered the 96 corvette.
Rick

Nabeel

That is a good start Rick.

RedTwo

Jump on the DBA website (I think the Australian website has a little more info than the USA one) and download their catalogue, it has full measurements of their OEM and upgrade brake rotors.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned