The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Post your ETs race short route intercooler piping builds

SparxXVR4

I've had my car on jackstands for a while, doing a few things. Can confirm that if you have a GOOD radiator and fans (no mishimoto garbage, especially fans) then you won't have an issue with overheating. I've had my car running in the shop when it's well over 90f ambient for an hour at a time and never once saw over 200f coolant temps. Even with an oil cooler between the FMIC and radiator.
My setup has an afco 80107n radiator and a single 14" Maradyne 225w fan. It's a bit oversized for the radiator, but it gets the job done.

Seems i don't have any pictures of the final install, but you get the general idea. This is an ETS 3.5" DSM Race core. It's as short route as it gets.

View attachment 3051

View attachment 3052

View attachment 3053

Oh yeah... it also doesn't hang below the front bumper cover.
Again thanks for this

16973136402338535646626968846146.jpg

Dialcaliper

When you install an intercooler that big; it restricts airflow. I know, because I did it. Even with an aftermarket aluminum radiatior and duel electric fans; overheating was present. 219 degrees with water wetter, etc. If you look at the japan spec VR4s, the Mitsu engineers put in a front mount intercooler they knew would not cause overheating. Same goes for the 2003 up EVOs.

I run a tredstone TR6 or TR8. These are more designed for the VR4 lower airdam. Good luck with you build, it does look nice !!
Big/thicker intercoolers do restrict airflow, but any overheating problems are usually due to inadequate fan flow when the car is still/at low speed. As long as the radiator is not blocked, airflow is usually fine once you get going

SparxXVR4

Big/thicker intercoolers do restrict airflow, but any overheating problems are usually due to inadequate fan flow when the car is still/at low speed. As long as the radiator is not blocked, airflow is usually fine once you get going
Not going to have that issue my self, but I can understand how volume works within a bigger tank/core. Ran into a similar issue on my 9MR until I went to a FP BLACK, PROBLEM SOLVED lol.

turbomister2

Not going to have that issue my self, but I can understand how volume works within a bigger tank/core. Ran into a similar issue on my 9MR until I went to a FP BLACK, PROBLEM SOLVED lol.
I’ve let the car idle for long periods of time on mid 80 to low 90 degree days and I haven’t had an over heating issue. I’ve seen the temps go over 200 on my logs but I have yet to trigger my check engine safety light for high temps and cruising the temps are perfect

SparxXVR4

I’ve let the car idle for long periods of time on mid 80 to low 90 degree days and I haven’t had an over heating issue. I’ve seen the temps go over 200 on my logs but I have yet to trigger my check engine safety light for high temps and cruising the temps are perfect
Yah it already had a rather large fmic on her to begin with, but it was all jacked up with ugly mix matched piping ect ect. Never even seen 200F on a hot 80+ day. But bow I feel better about turning up the boost a bit, to see what she was like in the glory days on E85. Lol I personally don't have E85 here but have a small compensation using 100% methonal injection 🙃

Tondar

Why don't more people use vertical IC's (top to bottom flow)? The engineer in me is convinced it's the better design, is it just because it doesn't look as cool?

mitsuturbo

See, i kept the entire top part of my steel bumper. Where the bolts go in for the fascia/cover. There's a small overhang left over that wraps in front of the intercooler just a bit. I'll see if i can dig up a photo for ya.
Looks like you've got it sorted out, though. Looks like your FMIC sits right about where mine does. As high as possible.

mitsuturbo

Got it moving along bumper supports all fabricated to hold the gawd awful usdm bumper :( and bumper is back on. Just need to try to fabricate fog light brackets now since I can't find a single one hahah.View attachment 3412
This is how i cut my bumper. Fits well. Supports the cover 100%. You can literally stand on it. The bottom of the cover was pretty warped when i put it all together a decade ago. I actually removed that bit last year as it's pretty flat now and will be fastened to the sheet metal underneath with clips as it should be.

GVR4 Bumper.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned