The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

possibly trashed block?

JackstandTSi

I am trying to get my motor on a stand and after 2 trips to lowes for bolt 2 of my holes and a m10 and 2 other holes are a m12, i looked inside one of the m12 bolt holes and saw that the hole looked to be punched threw the block, and expert opinion would be great.

IMAG0013.jpg

JackstandTSi

The threads are good its just whoever had this block before me i think went to far on tapping them and has pushed it threw into a oil or coolant gally.

5OF2k

Your FSM should show the oil and coolant galleys, but regardless you should be able to weld, re-drill and tap the hole no problem!

JackstandTSi

Here is another pick i snapped before i left my mothers, i stuck a screwdriver threw the hole and looked threw the gally and this is its outcome.

IMAG0019.jpg

SouthCaliVR4

Fortunately that is an oil return & not under pressure. helicoil it & use thread sealer, you'll be fine.

rdomeck

That looks like it is into the oil drain galley. It's not so simple to weld up and tap. Cast iron doesn't weld like mild steel. You can't just use a mig welder and fill it in. It will not hold. If your not experienced in how to weld cast, don't try it in something like this. You will end up with some metal chunks in your oil pan and a bolt backing out of your block.

If the threads are in decent shape or you can get them in decent shape and the rest of the engine is good, then I would use some sealant on that thread when you bolt up your transmission.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned