The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

please help with alternator swap

raptorWagon

Quoting steveGLS:
Quoting rgeier11:
Don't remove the fan. Just remove the upper radiator mounts so that you can swivel the radiator. The alternator should be able to sneak out.

Don't pull the radiator, just do exactly as rgeier says. Remove the upper mounts only, and you will have enough play to get the alt out.

+1 I've never had to pull the radiator out to get the alternator out.

Terry Posten

Yes, a wire harness.

Everything has enough flex to allow you to remove the top two brackets and pull straight up on the radiator to pull the lower alignment pins from their cradles of rubber and slide the whole assembly over to the passenger side. You only need to move it a few inches.

It really is quite simple.

Diego

^ NO.

There is just the 2 brackets. Undo the 4 bolts I'm sure there 12MM and you just lift the radiator gently out of the 2 postion/mounting/support brackets at the bottom. Don't disconnet any hose, don't do anything we didn't already tell you. Just get the 4~5 things you need to do to take your alternator out, and do it. No more questions, I want to see a post of.....

"Done!" and then everyone can gloat and feel happy we helped another one. No shoo, your typing to much to be doing anything Alternator productive.

steve

You will also feel very accomplished when you come back and tell us that its done. That's when the trouble really begins. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Diego

Your bad ju-ju made my alternator fizzle out...

Now imma replace it and send you a how-to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Staff member
Oh nice, no heat shield.

broxma

At least it's in the right section...

I have little sympathy here unfortunately. I have to pull my entire intake manifold to get my alternator out. Stop whining.

How long is this going to go on?

/brox

alansupra94

Quoting G:
Oh nice, no heat shield.

Where should there be a heat shield? I'm not sure if I have one....also I might replace my alternator before dropping the motor because it looks really dusty and brunt out.

Diego

This thread has made everyone check there alt.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

alansupra94

This thread has made everyone check their alt.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

steve

^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

G

Staff member
Quoting alansupra94:
Quoting G:
Oh nice, no heat shield.

Where should there be a heat shield? I'm not sure if I have one....also I might replace my alternator before dropping the motor because it looks really dusty and brunt out.

The o2 housing. That's probably the #1 reason why newbies are always burning out alternators. If you are running after market parts then at least have them coated or wrapped.

yeti

Haha
Will do alternator before posting another question I do know every way to possibly take an alternator out though
I'm away from the car until I recharge a battery or two and try to drive it over to the house I'm at

Quoting Diego:
^ NO.

There is just the 2 brackets. Undo the 4 bolts I'm sure there 12MM and you just lift the radiator gently out of the 2 postion/mounting/support brackets at the bottom. Don't disconnet any hose, don't do anything we didn't already tell you. Just get the 4~5 things you need to do to take your alternator out, and do it. No more questions, I want to see a post of.....

"Done!" and then everyone can gloat and feel happy we helped another one. No shoo, your typing to much to be doing anything Alternator productive.

So true. Sometimes you've just got to stop asking questions and just do it. About 90 percent of the things you'll come across you can easily manage if you're a bit handy with a wrench. And the remaining 10 percent wich can be a cause for questions are definitely already answered...

alansupra94

O2 housing.....not sure what does that heat shield look like? I have a shiny one over the manifold but that's about it. I might just install a small heat shield between the alternator and everything to set my mind at ease.

2of9

1. remove fuel lines
2. remove wire harness
3. remove all vacuum lines
4. unbolt motor mounts
5. get engine hoist to 'hoist up' the engine
6. disconnect trans from engine
a. let the trans fall if you can
7. remove engine from engine bay

BAM...there's the alty!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned