The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

pinhole fuel leak repair question

Songsay

So my hardline coming out of the gas tank where it curves into the union has rusted through and there is a pinhole leak squirting a really fine spray of gasoline.
Any suggestions on repair?

CSMShaun

The hard line that protrudes through the bulkhead correct? You could remove the bulkhead, remove any gasoline, then braze/solder the hole shut. If the line is already that corroded it will probably leak again sometime soon.

I would replace that whole line coming out of the sending unit.

I followed these instructions when my sending unti hard line broke and it has worked perfectly:

Quoting atc250r:
There was a repair for this on the VFAQ a couple of years ago when mine crapped out but I think its gone now. All you need is a piece of 5/16" fuel line (the parts store type thats got a pair of fittings on it already and is flared), some JB Weld, a drill, 5/16" bit, and the fitting off of your old line. The 5/16" line is the same size as the 8mm line that we have stock so cut one end off of the new line, remove the two american fittings, install the stock fitting that you pulled off of the rusted line, bend a 90* in the new line, drill the remains of the old line out of the sender, trim the new line to the right length, slide the new line through the hole, clamp it to the hose that is connected to the new pump inside the tank, and then blob on some JB Weld on the outside to keep it from leaking. I used a heat gun when I was done to let the JB Weld flow a little. Mine has been like that for a couple of years with no problems. When it broke I thought I was f'ed and would have to buy a new unit but that fix worked great. You can also tweak a 1G AWD TEL one to fit.

John

Songsay

Thanks for the ideas. I have a tiny baby in the house, so sleepless nights keeps my mind from thinking clearly.

Songsay

Metal was too thin for me to weld, even on my lowest amp setting.
Ended up using some tape that the airforce uses to fix f-15's, got it from my airforce crew cheif.
It worked out sooo good. No more tiny fuel spray from the hardline.
This car has lasted 20 years. Not sure its gonna be so good in another 20.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned