The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Over heating

So I just replaced all the water and coolant in my Galant and I took it for a little drive and within a minute the temperature gauge is pointing to hot and in the red, any ideas???

strokin4dr

Air pockets are trapped in the system. Try to fully burp them out and the problem should go away as long as everything was fine before the coolant flush.

AllanL

check the coolant level in the sub tank. same level as you filled it up?

remove the radiator cap. most likely, it appears there's no more coolant.

fill it up.

do not put the radiator cap.

start the engine. wait for the coolant to cycle through engine [cycling means radiator will turn on/off automatically, assuming you did not hack you fan wires, though]...

you should see the coolant bubbling.

do this for 2~3 cycles.

turn off the engine.

wait to cool down, replace coolant. return radiator cap.

my way of burping the coolant.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
On an angle. The radiator has to be the highest point in the system.

slowpoke

Jack up the front of the car slightly and run it with the cap off. Haf to do this on both my galants.

manikbastrd

I have always just opened the radiator cap and verified it was full, run it to warm (so the thermostat opens) and then make sure to give the hoses a few squeezes. Could just be a stuck thermostat...Did you do any other work? Why didn't it have coolant in the first place?

r4pt0x

Open the radiator cap with the engine running and hold a burning match or lighter over it. If the flame dies you most likely have CO in your coolant -> maybe blown head gasket or a hairline crack at the head, but verify with a CO-checker (they come as glas tubes with 3 chambers and a blue fluid)

theevozero

Quoting Barnes:
Supposedly this thing is amazing. Amazon.com link

click
This is better. I use one at work and insures you NEVER have an air pocket. It sucks out all the air and replaces it with coolant. It uses the vacuum you apply to the coolant system to suck coolant from a seperate reservoir into the radiator without mess or headache. Invest, WORTH IT!

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Debatable.

I use the spill free funnel after using the Snap-On vacuum tool to refill the partially full system.
You still have air trapped inside.

I do believe the OP likely has a large air pocket that was at the thermostat housing and right where the sensor was located.

Bleed/burp the coolant system and recheck.

You can get away with only using the "spill free funnel", it's just sometimes better to first vacuum down the system (and quick with the proper adapter kits) and then bleed remaining bubbles.

G

Staff member
Quoting Barnes:

Yeah this one works great, all you need is this and an angle.

Barnes

Quoting theevozero:
Quoting Barnes:

click
This is better. I use one at work and insures you NEVER have an air pocket. It sucks out all the air and replaces it with coolant. It uses the vacuum you apply to the coolant system to suck coolant from a seperate reservoir into the radiator without mess or headache. Invest, WORTH IT!

Well, with the funnel I linked, there is a 'passive' way to ensure air bubbles are out. It's probably effective enough for our purposes. However, the tool you linked is the sure fire way.

With the funnel I linked, you fill the radiator. Then run the car with the funnel. The funnel then acts a reservoir. This lets bubbles come to the top and exit, but there is now coolant to fill that space back up. Between the circulation of the coolant, and the temperature expanding the bubbles, it's damn effective at getting the bubbles out.

AllanL

well OP has not updated yet... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Last edited:

rebelboost

I bought this same exact specialty tool with no regrets. Go buy now my friend! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quoting Barnes:

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned