The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

heating question

+1 my heaters week also. Does the job, but sure won't run you out or anything.

BoostedAWD91

yea i finished everything the other day and everything is working great now!! I cant say exactly what the problem was since i replaced everything but it was well worth it especially since its 10 degrees out.

gtluke

damn, my heat doesn't work either.
someone figure out what does this to our cars.

BoostedAWD91

i think changing the heater core and the heater controls were the biggest factor in the problem.

gtluke

I know for sure my core isn't clogged, but I'll check again. I did just flush it out and water ran through just fine. I can hear the control door slamming shut when I change it from cold to hot too. I'm actually wondering if the box is packed with leaves or something, but there is no change when I change the controls from inside air to outside air. I would think that would clarify the leaves problem? maybe, not sure how that flapper works.

I really don't feel like taking out my dashboard. Mainly because my AC works and I don't want to drain and refill it.

BoostedAWD91

well my old one which i just removed the flapper for hot to cold wouldnt stay on hot. The flapper wasnt messed up where when u pushed it to hot, it would just slide right back over to the middle. If you are going to remove the dash i would highly recommend finding a part out car that the heat worked perfect in and take the parts from it. Its well worth replacing everything while your in there just to be sure. It would stick with a OEM heater core though, the aftermarket one i got isnt even a year old and junk.

TurboTrader

As I've found out this past weekend too, too low of thermostat can cause issues as well. My heat used to get too hot to the point where I had to turn it down less than halfway through a trip. I replaced the radiator with an Aluminum Honda half, and put in a 180 degree thermostat in place of the 192 degree unit that had been put in about 5,000 miles ago. My Galant runs too cool now. According to the logger, didn't get a touch above 180 degrees Even after heavy boosting.

I'll be putting a new 192 degree thermostat back and hope the heat works well after that. Anything less than 190 coolant temps, our heat seems to really suck from what I've found so far, so you might give that a shot.

If your radiator fan is wired to run all the time, that could be keeping the coolant from reaching optimal operating temp as well. In the winter when it is cold, it will have more of a negative effect than a positive effect.

With all that out of the way, if the heat still doesn't work well, then I would dig into the dash. Best to get the simple stuff out of the way, then go for the heater core lines and such. Autozone is bad for giving out 180 degree thermostats saying they are stock replacement. Ours come factory with 192's. I've had bad experience with Advance and Autozone t-stats as well where they started sticking after about 7-10k miles. I've had great experience with Napa's however.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned