The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Output shaft n transfer case question

BENE38A

looks worn, why did you have it split was something wrong with the driveline?, looks like it spun was there metal filings in there?

tek_88

The driveline would clunk whenever the car was rolling. And there was no metal shavings.

Last edited:

BENE38A

From what I had read clunking can be a symptom of stripped output shaft and yours does not look flash. Clunking can also be a symptom of almost everything so time to give that car some loving mate.

CutlassJim

You need a new output shaft AND T-case input collar.

tek_88

Thanks guys. Do any of you know where I can buy those? And is switching out the input collar on the transfer case easy? I know the output shaft can be switched out fairly easy.

jnava

Staff member
Yes it's easy. As long as you have the proper tools, and don't loose the little metal ball when you pull the viscous coupler.

pot

Staff member
I was in a similar predicament in the past when my transfer case locked up. I wound up calling around to the DSM performance shops i.e JNZtuning, JMF, STM, etc and was able to find an output shaft that JNZ had lying around. Otherwise Jack's Transmission offers them on their website but they are a bit pricey.

As far as installation is concerned it is fairly straightforward. Just take your time and be patient.

GSTwithPSI

I have a 22 spline Xfer case for sale if you are interested: click

WP_001195.jpg

WP_001193.jpg

tek_88

I need to find an output shaft first. Depending on which one I find will determine whether I get a 22 or 23 spline transfer case.

prove_it

Might be worth checking the dealer. Sometimes you never know. It could be just as much to get a new shaft as it will cost to find one shipped in.

tek_88

Yeah, I found an output shaft and matching transfer case from a member already. Just waiting for a shipping quote. Brand new output shafts run for $250-$300 without shipping and I don't want to pay that much for just the output shaft.

prove_it

ouch. Yea used sounds better.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned