The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Transmission output shaft comes out?

so i picked up this transmission from vr4beast. i installed the transmission and gave it a quick test drive. i wasn't pleased with the clutch (its a chatter'er'er, not what i want for a daily driver and i seem to have some disengagement issues also). so i pulled the transmission out tonight. while i was removing the transfer case i noticed the output shaft coming out with it.

so, my question is: is there some retaining pin/clip that holds it in which i believe is accessible on the first transmission case cover? my older transmission doesn't pull out like this one so i think i can just donor the part to this transmission if anyone has any pictures i can go off of.

i will be pm'ing vr4beast to see if it was like this when he was using it. I'm worried if there is a retaining pin/clip bouncing around the transmission /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

also... say i dont fix it and just fix the leaking oil seal on the output shaft (MD723202). can i run the car with the output shaft like this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

pics:

turbowop

There is a ball that goes between that shaft and the viscous coupling. It rides in that groove in the end of the shaft. The viscous coupling is held on by a snap ring on the center diff. That shaft goes through the center diff and is held in place by that ball, which stays there because the viscous coupling keeps is from coming out.

There is no way that ball could come out unless the viscous coupling is removed. It's pretty easy to pull the end case to get in there and remove/reinstall the viscous coupling to install a new ball.

Last edited:

Barnes

Pull the first end case off (furthest from the clutch).
Remove the snap ring holding the viscous coupler on. (The big smooth round thing)
Remove the VC.
The VC sits on two hollow shafts. You will notice that there is a small hole in one. If you put the transfer case output shaft all the way back into the transmission, you will see there is a groove in the shaft that aligns with the hole in the hollow shaft. A ball bearing goes here. That is what retains the shaft, and is why your shaft fell out. Why that ball bearing is not there is beyond my imagination. With the t-case output shaft in place and the ball bearing in its rightful spot, the VC is reinstalled in turn holds the ball bearing in place.

I really hope you find the ball bearing. That would be rather nasty if somehow it fell out and is floating around the transmission.

EDIT: Fuckin Mark beating me!! Damn you!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

thank you guys! so... how do you guys normally seal these transmission cases? normal gasket maker? which color do you use?

Terry Posten

Yep, clean all surfaces really well, then use a bead of Ultra Grey RTV.

donkeylips

This is what killed 924/1000's last tranny!! I had to replace it a couple of weeks ago. I stupidly installed it this summer, knowing it was like that, and it lasted for 9 months before leaving me stranded 40 miles from home! Wish I had taken care of it beforehand...live and learn.

so my wife is in labor right now (stage 1, mild stuff) and like a good hubby i went to go work on my transmissions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif she was resting!

so... the old bearing is no where to be found and from the looks of the transmission there isn't any way for it to find a way to float around. so the only exit was out the clutch side. my theory is the last re-builder might have forgotten to put it back in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif. no damage found near the shaft, VCU or other gears. and the oil gasket looks fine (besides it being old).

anyway its fixed, thank you guys for your input! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

[/end_blog]

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned