The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Output Shaft Install (Getting metal ball to retain shaft)

pot

Staff member
Gents I'm just about to move on from JSB, however I've run into a snag that is beyond my reach:

I cannot get the two metal balls to retain the Output shaft. Is there a trick to this or am I mistaken their [balls] purpose? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thus far the output shaft slides back and forth freely.......

pot

Staff member
I was told that before but why is there two slots or holes for the metal ball to go in to? Also, provided the previous owner installed the output shaft correctly, is there anything that would allow the output shaft to slide completely out?

DynastyLCD

theoretically, the only reason it would slide out is if the ball came out as well. it could have fallen out while tapping the VC back on, or perhaps he didn't have the output shaft just right when he put the ball in and it never seated in the groove.

donnie's right, every trans i've taken apart has been just one ball holding it in place. it would be good peace of mind to have both in there, but only one is actually required.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned