The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Opinions please !!! trimming valve guides from the inside

NARF

I have a 2 g head with about 1k worth of port and valve work alone. everything is freshly machined and ready to go together right now. the head was sandblasted and cleaned with glass media before any machine work was done. after cleaning and machining we found media between the valve guide and the cast of the aluminum heads itself( we were busy cleaning oil ports and overlooked it). there has been 2 weeks in attempting taking the media out 1 by 1. it's so tight in you cant even get a tool in the gap to pick the media out. I'm sure with my luck it will fall out while the engines running, no doubt. Rather than risking damage to the deck, and the facts new guides would require a new cut and lap because of concentric run out, we had the idea to machine the guide ends (that are inside of the runners) flush with the aluminum surface... milling the media as well. Any downside I'm not thinking of? The guides length is all that's changing, I've also upgraded to a stainless valve.

Rausch

This seems to work well. I know (well, we know) one particular cylinder head guy that has had no issue doing this. Seems to hold up on even the most serious of builds FWIW.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned