The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

opinions or this set of cam gears?

JSchleim18

Quoting RedTwo:
Quoting turbowop:
So if your post count is low it's okay to practice form before function? Quick, somebody reset my post count! I feel the need for some underbody neons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Is there now an owners committee? Where everyone has to conform to their accepted standards like a cookie cutter neighborhood in a gated community?
How boring would this place be if we all did the same things to our cars? Imagine if every car here had JDM bumpers, Evo 8 wheels, GTO brakes and was white or green.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Agreed. Let him do what he wants with his car. Not saying he'll bring much to the board but this may make him stay away from the board and try to do things with his own knowledge and fk the car up. Then it'll be sold for dirt cheap bc it was a hack and people will complain that these cars are sh*t boxes. But if we just accept him and give him honest opinions on if they are good for the car or what kind are reasonable then maybe he'll come back with more questions. Then he could learn a thing or two on these cars and maybe make something decent.

We all gotta start somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

kooter

damn I think I started something big here.

So were to begin my responce.

as the title of the post says I wanted oppinoins and I got them.

I will state and even restate that I am a total noob with out a clue as to what I am doing or should be doing with this car.
currently and foremost on my agenda is getting the car running right and looking good. that is it, for now.

car has new t belt and water pump.
just put new tires
KYB gr2 shocks and struts. every piece that could go with the shocks and struts are also brand new from mitsu.(the front right was BLOWN)

now waiting to go on the car yet

I have a steering rack as the one I have does leak ever so slightly. aws is perfect and dry and I wish to keep it that way.
shifter fork, rubber boot, fulcrum(sorry if I misspelled that)
bushings for the shifter assembly
plugs and wires freshly powdercoated valve cover,(stock intake, fuel rail, and throttle getting powder coated next week)
v/c gasket, with evo half moon.
center bearing for the drive shaft. both of them.
also coming from mitsu this week I will have a new crank pulley, mine has a chip in it.
new t belt and tensioner balance shaft belt and tensioner
and just about every gasket I could get. I even got new nuts bolts washers and just about everything I could that wasn't discontinued.

now To address one issue that is based soley on the topic of this post.
I have no idea really I mean this when I say it. none what so ever about building horsepower and I am most definately not looking to make anymore then the car has stock. For now. I have a proffesional technichian.(by proffesional I mean he works on cars all day to make a living.) doing all the work while I try to help and observe as best I can.
in a unknown amount of time I will begin doing the work with his help. So I am learning or at least attempting to. When I am able to remove and rebuild my engine myself I Will begin the educational proccess of learning how to go fast. then go fast.
and yes I even bought the 3 book mitsu repair manual from ebay and have the link for the online version saved on three different computers.

Yet I ask everyone here to say what they feel and don't worry about hurting my feeling. As my daddy always said "son oppinoins are like asshole's everybody has one" and I am ok with that.

one last note based on this post.
I was unaware that what I was looking at was an adjustable cam gear. As I have no need or desire to adjust anything at this point I will not be getting those.
if it is acceptable and would not cause any problems I will simply get a set of stock gears and have them powder coated.

I was planning on taking some pictures of everything before and then after I get the new valve cover, intake manifold, cam gears clear cover and do some general lee cleaning done. ( ok that was a joke) but seriously some general cleaning and sprucing up of the engine area.

I have ordered a cluster to attempt the boost guage between the tac and speedo, I have a bezel to try to add the guage holders on to there as I have seen both ideas done well on this site. (if anyone has further instruction's on either or both I would appreciate it) but barring that both those ideas fall completely apart. I will be installing a boost guage. Either the boost/fuel ratio one I have or getting another.

I have a base 90, built in late 89 galant with all the interior trim that is the same as the vr4, yes I double checked they are the same part #'s
I also have a spare set of right h and a pillar, both b and c pillars sitting waiting for some kind of wrapping, really leaning toward the suede.
because I like it thats why lol.

but hey enough for me right, this is turning into a small novel.
all I will say in conclusion here is that I have no clue but I got more idea's then I know what to do with.
just gonna take em one at a time and do the best I can.

I appreciate all the help and hey I don't even mind getting flamed as a noob or retard or what ever else anyone can think of that doesn't bother me at all and I am not likely to respond in any attempt to further those types of coversations.

and to every one that has been very helpful so far I would like to say thank you and offer a pre emptive thank you to every one that may help in the future.
as for now I am done typing,

Last edited:

kooter

just to put a face to my name
img.php

img.php

JSchleim18

Well said "kooter".

JNZ Tuning will be able to get you OEM parts at probably the best prices to help you save some money.

There is also the original service manuals in the "Library" section. Those can help.

Suede is a nice touch for the interior as there is already suede in the door panels.

Learn away and use the search feature. Add a "+" before each word to make things easier.

Welcome

turbowop

Well, since you're that much of a noob and didn't realize those are adjustable, I'll let you off the hook. Stick with factory cam sprockets, plz. Putting adjustable ones on stock cams is the equivalent of putting an intercooler on a nonturbo car.

onesickcrx

I liked my Fidanza cam gears but my new HKS's are more bling to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

kooter

well sir if my spelling is your biggest complaint then I am truly sorry if I have offended or upset. I shall strive for perfection next time.

SmoothCustomer

Quoting turbowop:
So if your post count is low it's okay to practice form before function? Quick, somebody reset my post count! I feel the need for some underbody neons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I am honestly so confused about how you got that from my post, considering that I said and then again reiterated that the op should not get these cam gears. The point of my post was that perhaps we should be a little easier on the noobs, lest they get scared away and we possibly lose a valuable member of an already small community. Normally I agree with you and I think we should be harder on noobs for things like poor grammar but being a jerk because a new member doesn't really know what he's doing yet is getting a little old.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting onesickcrx:
I liked my Fidanza cam gears but my new HKS's are more bling to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Actually I'm a big fan of the Tomei cam gears.

speedyvr4

Quoting kooter:
well sir if my spelling is your biggest complaint then I am truly sorry if I have offended or upset. I shall strive for perfection next time.

lol. I like this guy. welcome to the boards. hopefully the anal retentives wont scare you off.Ths is a very good board for info and such juust very purist so talking about "looks" can get a little taboo. good luck with the car, hope we can help.These are very good cars if maintained properly. If your looking for a VIP look on your galant, check out the AMG galant for some really nice trick pieces that are just plain badass. good luck finding them though.

turbowop

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
Quoting turbowop:

I am honestly so confused about how you got that from my post, considering that I said and then again reiterated that the op should not get these cam gears. The point of my post was that perhaps we should be a little easier on the noobs, lest they get scared away and we possibly lose a valuable member of an already small community. Normally I agree with you and I think we should be harder on noobs for things like poor grammar but being a jerk because a new member doesn't really know what he's doing yet is getting a little old.

Get yer panties out of a knot. I told him I'd let him off the hook since he didn't know they were adjustable a couple posts after that. I knew what you meant. I was just having some fun.

kooter

ok well I didn't mean to cause so much tension here. I appreciate all the input. I have ordered a set of stock cam gear's and will get them powder coated.

Last edited:

Diego

Stock cam gears...*

I'm not to sure how well the valve train or head would appreciate PC cams. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

kooter

sorry about that.
I corrected it.
Got me all worried about punctuation grammer and spelling now I can't focus on what I want to say. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
haha

SouthCaliVR4

Quoting kooter:
ok well I didn't mean to cause so much tension here. I appreciate all the input. I have ordered a set of stock cam's and will get them powder coated.

I gotta say if you are looking for a bit o bling under the hood & just want the gears to "show" it's your money. from a performance standpoint pretty much a waste of time but... Now, if you're dropping coin on stuff like this while other parts of the car still need snuffing up, that is when I join the thinking you're an idiot crowd.

I cannot even remember how many times over the course of my career I've put a car up on the hoist to find new coil overs on 200K stock struts, or a brand spanking new strut bar on a car with ball joints ready to pop, or other much needed repairs & maintenance ignored for the sake of a set of under-car neon's.

When these cars blow up, not if, the owner inevitably can be heard going on & on about how much cash they sunk into the car & now the engine or trans is down. or the guy who recently destroyed a couple hundred dollar wheel when the thirty dollar ball joint popped. his other one was not far behind & an equally expensive set of tires where being shredded by the lack of alignment.

So when people go off about stuff like this it's more than likely from witnessing asshattery similar to what I describe above & assume that other, more significant, things are being overlooked in the effort to look fast in a parking lot with the hood up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

kooter

well you are correct I am a total idiot. I mean I bought the car in the first place didn't I.
and to comment I am not forgoing any needed repairs. suspension was just redone 99% brand new everything except the springs. boots bushings nuts bolts and even washer's.
new tires.
other repairs need all have parts waiting to go on.

in about a month once I get everything back.
I will be putting on a new valve cover with new pcv valve, valve cover gasket, spark plug grommets, evo half moon, intake manifold and rebuilt throttle body, spark plugs and wires. Already has new water pump, timing belt, drive belts, balance shaft belt. also on the way new pulley's. and yes I mean all pulleys.
valve cover, intake manifold and throttle body have been powder coated.

So to restate the basic's I have more interested in rebuilding this car to as perfect running condition while also making it look as I want it to. I am not here to make 400 whp and I am not looking for a 9 sec car.
I only want what I want.

I come here and ask question's so I can be sure that what I am thinking about doing is going to work and that I am not going to blow the car up.

I can all but guarantee that from me you will hear some of the most idiotic question's and idea's that may or may not have ever come across this board. all I can say is it is what it is.

but mostly to all the people that are willing and able to accept my ignorance and offer me the wisdom of experience and first hand knowledge I can only say thank you.
and as far as money goes I don't have that much but I will always be able to make more.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned