The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone using ebay cam gears?

MX4

So I'm probably going to get rinsed out for asking this question. But does anyone use, or have any feedback, on using the cam gears available off Ebay? I am considering picking up a set. Otherwise I might try and track down a second hand set of better quality ones.

Heres a link to some I saw - click

I would look into what its made out of dont want the teeth to sheer off.

89Mirageman

I'd probably swap the hardware out for some stronger bolts but other than that I'm sure they're fine.

JNR

I wouldn't trust chinese junk on something critical like cam timing (well I wouldn't buy it for anything, but if I was forced to choose that is one area I certainly wouldn't skimp)...the "real" ones aren't all that much, are they?

460GVR4

I asked myself the same question and what I had found from other forums even outside dsm's, is that the design of teeth on gears is not quite up to snuff and it wears your belt much faster than that of higher quality and design products. You also have to imagine how much time and effort was put into the gears if they can sell them $60 and make profit.

minneSNOWta

When I bought a fully loaded head, it came with Onsoku cam gears off of ebay. The car the head came off made 487whp, but there was no way some cheap sh*t was going to be responsible for thousands of dollars worth of googies. Ended up with Fidanza's instead.

ronnycordova

I picked up a set of HKS gears new in the box off ebay awhile back for $150. I just looked though and the guy who was selling them is no longer a member so I'm going to assume he's in some sort of Russian dungeon by now.

boostedinaz

My question is...do you really need adjustable cam gears at all?

Do you plan on degreeing a cam on a freshly built engine, or are you going to spend a ton of time on a dyno playing with them? If not save your money.

I always find it hilarious when people spend 200.00 for cam gears that are set at 0.

James

^^ i wish there was a like button

Leon_R

1 you do not really need ANY adjustable gears! Some cheap cams come with improperly indexed pin, so they need to be corrected, but that is just another reason to stick to high quality cams!

2. Try wrapping a timing belt around a stock and then Chineese pulleys, you will notice that you will have to force the teeth into the gear after 220* or so (that does not happen with a stock or HKS pulleys). You may say, the actual belt doesn't make a 220* contact with the sprocket (and you would be right), but it shows that they are different! And that mismatch must put more stress on the belt teeth!

If I had to, I would only use pulleys that fit the belt similar to stock pulleys!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts