The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil Pump opinions

Vr4junkie

Going to be replacing my oil pump since I'm doing a rebuild nothing wrong with the old one but rather be on the safe side. would theses two be a good option over OEM I know its better but also more expensive . Let me know what you guys think.
click click

Last edited:

ktmrider

OEM only, period.

Vr4junkie

Im going to see what kind of experience people have had with theses pumps if not ill just get an OEM pump.

ktmrider

Search here or Tooners. Better yet save the few $$$ and put it towards a rebuild when one of those pumps fails.

mitsuturbo

Measure the clearances on the one you have. A lot of oil pumps get replaced when they needn't be.

Vr4junkie

@ktmrider /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif so OEM or nothing

also how do I check the clearance?

Street Surgeon

Quoting ktmrider:
OEM only, period.

That's what I would recommend as well but plenty of people get by with other makes, I'd just never try.

ktmrider

Quoting vr4junkie:

If you take into account the failure rate of the non-OEM oil pumps yes.

Still boggles my mind when folks take "wallet" shortcuts with their vehicles, especially critical engine components. And don't get me started on Brake and Tire cheap-outs.

Rant over, do what you feel is right for you. If you want one person to say go for the less expensive option I'm sure they'll chime in, just won't be me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

Were would be the best place to get an OEM oil pump cheapest I seen is $240

raptorWagon

I have a DNJ oil pump, but I also bought the OEM gears to swap in. Glad I did, because the DNJ gears were helical, not straight cut like the oem 6 bolt gears.

$206 from Mitsubishiparts.net for a OEM pump, but it will probably take 2-3 weeks for one to arrive, if you don't mind waiting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif.

OEM parts won't be around forever.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Be aware or double check, because I believe a new factory 6 bolt pump does not come with the gears. they are separate and extra.

I have checked pump according to the servica manual specs in the past and never needed a new one except one that was damaged by debris going through it.

rdomeck

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Measure the clearances on the one you have. A lot of oil pumps get replaced when they needn't be.

Measure....I have never had to replace a pump in any build due to the pump being worn out. Trash in them yes, but never due to wear. I'm sure that there are lot's of mixed opinions out there on this. If you know how to measure the pump and do it correctly then do so. If not you will be replacing it. Read the manual and it will give you the specs. I used to build air cooled Porsche engines and those pumps range from $1000 to $2500 for a new pump. You learn to measure and make judgement calls with pricing like that. On another note I have built my far share of air cooled VW engines and with a $40 high volume pump I would almost always install a new one.

ktmrider

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Quoting ktmrider:
And don't get me started on Brake and Tire cheap-outs.

Duralast and Linglongs FTW!!!!!!

LOL Duralast GOLD maybe.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

birdman24

Quoting vr4junkie:

also how do I check the clearance?

With a feeler gauge.

GSX_TC

I work for oreillys part time and would never trust one of their pumps on my cars. I'm sure theyll work, just not nearly as long as an original mitsu piece.

Vr4junkie

Alright so I bought some parts from Beck Arnley from Rock Auto I ordered main and rod bearings and there rings and was surprised to see that they were ACL bearing and for the rings I belive they are NPR rings from the looks of the wrapping not 100%. I did some research and some people have reported getting OEM parts just in the Beck Arnley boxs.

So my question is has any body here ordered a Beck Arnley oil pump and received an actual OEM pump?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned