The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil light...

SleepinGVR4

Ok my oil light just started coming on. Its doing it at idle and when i'm taking a slow turn. The idle isn't dropping below where its set. I just started to do this. Yes I have an oil pressure gauge but it stopped working a month after I installed it. Stewart Warner junk. I just built this engine 5K miles ago. Any ideas?

ktmrider

Could be a variety of things from the engine rebuild ( poor bearing clearance, oil pump failure first come to mind ). Any unusual noises from the engine or leaks?
Describe the rebuild including parts AND their brand ( OE, Felpro, etc ).

SleepinGVR4

The valve cover is leaking like there is no tomorrow, I figured it was due to not have the pcv system hooked up correctly (dual catch can etc).

The build...

The head was cleaned up and had new valve seals installed.
The block has ACL race bearings, eagle rods, ross pistons (bored 0.030 over), and a Felpro MLS head gasket.

G

Staff member
Could be low oil or a loose wire connection.

1990ggsxnj

I would get another gauge on there. Normally when it goes on while turning, you're starving the engine as the oil is going away from the pickup tube. This sounds like a stupid question, but did you check the oil level?

It may have been running out so much from the valve cover that the level dropped to the point where there wasn't enough to maintain the pressure.

SleepinGVR4

No oil isn't low. I just changed it and checked it today. As for a loose wire, it could be but I replaced the connection on the wire and the sensor when I built the engine.

1990ggsxnj

Yea, Oil pressure gauge man. Would be worth knowing.

ktmrider

+1, all speculation until you install a gauge of some type.
Also did you replace the oil pump or do a BSE during the rebuild? Many of the non-OEM pumps ( most notably the TopLine product ) are notorious for failures. Doing a BSE without an OEM stub shaft ( or grooved model ) has also lead to many failures too.

1990ggsxnj

Is your oil pan bent upwards, possibly preventing the pickup from taking in oil at times?
Just one other think to check off...

BoostedAWD91

sean i have a few of the sending units i believe over at the garage if u wanna swap one over and see if it still comes on. Might be it if ur oil pressure was fine when the gauge worked

SleepinGVR4

Quoting 1990ggsxnj:
Is your oil pan bent upwards, possibly preventing the pickup from taking in oil at times?
Just one other think to check off...

It has a small dent in it. Its just weird it doesn't come on unless the car is fully warmed up and i've been drivin it for like 15 mins.

fivestardsm

+1 on checking everything stated above. I would start with the gauge, then if its still low, take the pan off and check it out. You might of had something come apart if you did a BSE. Also, I have seen the oil pick-ups come loose at the pump. This will only last for a while before both bolts fall out. If you did the ARP main studs and cut off the pick-up bracket, your in even worse shape. When that mod is done, the bolts fall out of the pick-up, and the entire thing falls into the oil pan. As for the oil pump, TOPLINE SUCK's for sure. 100 miles on mine in the GGSX!!

fivestardsm

Quote:
SleepinGVR4:

It has a small dent in it. Its just weird it doesn't come on unless the car is fully warmed up and i've been drivin it for like 15 mins.

That is because the oil is thicker when it is cold and keeps more pressure. When it warms up and thins out, the pressure drops.

Last edited:

Wow I have exactly the same problem. Buying a gauge this weekend. If its low I guess I'll pull the pan, motor was supposedly rebuilt recently, and BSE was done, hopefully that didn't muck up anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned