The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

OEM rebuild alternators??

I get a feeling that most people is avoiding the OEM rebuilt laternators. Is this true or not??
If I'm right, why does people avoid the OEM rebuilt alternators?? Is there something wrong with them or the company that rebuilds them??

I bought a reman 2 years ago and it's still going /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

SouthCaliVR4

Oem alts here, rebuilt or new, are pretty spendy by comparison to rebuilt aftermarket. there is an aftermarket co who made a brand new one fairly resonable & thats what I put in but I haven't exactly driven the car much in the last couple years. when this one does go I am swapping to the higher amp subaru one. Just make sure the heat shileding is in place & you should be fine with just about any brand/make that fits the bill.

ktmrider

Many of the chain-store parts places in the US use crappy rebuild parts, mainly the VR.

Add in the alt location relative to the turbo DP...

Went thru 3 separate alternators within 600 miles before having it rebuilt at a local shop, been going strong since plus has a lifetime warranty like the chains.

G

Staff member
Because the stealership charges too much.

Yeah?? Well then, the aftermarket rebuilt alternators here in Sweden costs 3787SEK. That would be around 527USD.
Don't ask what a stock rebuilt one costs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

I could buy several new BOSCH units from you G! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

G

Staff member
Exactly! Your lucky if you can find a new oe alternator in stock at the dealer. Most of them are rebuilds now as well. $527 is right around what the dealer charges here as well I think.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned