The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New to the galant, not to dsm's

I recently purchased a 91 VR-4. I also own a 90gsx and a 96 rs. As of now the car isn't in the best of shape and does not run. My goal is to get it running as soon as possible. But I need some answers first. I tried to look most of these up on dsmtuners, but found minimal answers. I know the transmissions are different from the 1g dsms, but I don't know how they differ. Are the rear differentials from the 1g dsm and the vr-4 interchangeable? And are the ecu's from the gsx's able to be used in the vr-4?

Any help with be appreciated.

fuel

Hi welcome aboard. Just so you know a GVR-4 isn't a DSM, it's a proper Mitsubishi product manufactured in Japan and then imported to the US. The 1G DSM is essentially based on the 6G Galant platform and shares the running gear.

The transmissions are the same as the 1G DSM, provided you get the matching shifter cables/bracket. They have the same 3.545 ratios. Rear differentials and subframe are interchangeable, but the GVR-4 has 4WS while the DSM doesn't. Using a DSM subframe and diff would eliminate the 4WS. No the ECU from a GGSX is not interchangeable with a GVR-4 or 1G. You should be able to use a 1G DSM ECU in a GVR-4 though, provided it's the correct year. (90 and 91 onwards differ).

I meant the ecu from a 1g eclipse gsx. Lol. 1990 to be exact. The 4 wheel steer was removed by the orginal owner. Is the gearing in the rear different the same in the 1g dsm and the vr4's? Because if so, I'm going to put the diff from the galant into my gsx , because it is welded. I don't want a welded diff on a non track car.

fuel

both US GVR-4 and 1G DSM 5spd are 3.545 ratio rear ends.

LIV4PSI

The 90 ecu's are different than the 91-94 ecus. If you want to use it, I believe a couple pins need switched around. Check vfaq for a writeup.

Terry Posten

The GVR4 tranny is not the same as a TEL. But a 91-94 TEL tranny is a bolt in, the only difference is the first gear ratio is shorter (or is it taller, I always get that backwards). Front diff ratio in a GVR4 is the same as all TEL units of the rears of all manual TEL units, so they will work for the GVR4. But make sure you use parts from all USDM manual tranny cars. Some JDM parts are different diff ratios so be careful.

The 90 TEL tranny is weaker and has different cable brackets, so just don't use one of those.

The ECU for the GVR4 is very close, and will work from the 91-94 manual TEL cars. The 90 TEL ECU has a few pins swapped and it is best if you don't have to use one. All automatic TEL cars have smaller injectors and are mapped wrong for GVR4 cars (as long as you are using stock 450 injectors).

T-case is swappable but make sure you count the input splines, 22 or 23 count, keep them matched up.

Driveshafts on the TELs are shorter but use the same u-joints, yoke, and bearings.

I'm guessing that a TEL is the another way of saying dsm?
I appreciate the info. The way I purchased this car is with everything in the trunk (besides the engine and tranny which were already bolted up). I mean even the whole exhaust is in the trunk along with axles and etc. Its a nightmare. He also gave me the ecu to a 90 awd eclipse.

Would a 90 ecu at least will allow it to crank? I dont plan on trying to drive it. Just cranking the motor and letting it idle. I plan on putting most of it back together tomorrow. Just want to know if I should even bother with it or wait til I get a 91-94 ecu.

LIV4PSI

TEL=Talon/Eclipse/Laser. I wouldn't mess with the 90 ECU.

Welcome to the board! What's wrong with your existing ecu (the gvr4 one). Caps are a common problem, and if that's the case, just get it capped and socketed right here on the board?

raptorWagon

Quoting mrjreezy:
I'm guessing that a TEL is the another way of saying dsm?
I appreciate the info. The way I purchased this car is with everything in the trunk (besides the engine and tranny which were already bolted up). I mean even the whole exhaust is in the trunk along with axles and etc. Its a nightmare. He also gave me the ecu to a 90 awd eclipse.

Would a 90 ecu at least will allow it to crank? I dont plan on trying to drive it. Just cranking the motor and letting it idle. I plan on putting most of it back together tomorrow. Just want to know if I should even bother with it or wait til I get a 91-94 ecu.

You would have to swap a few wires around on the harness to suit the '90 ECU. So, if you don't have the stock ECU, just wait to find a 91+ to suit the car.

turbowop

The '90 ecu will work fine. You just need to swap two wires, which is easily reversible if you ever get a newer ECU because the connectors can be de-pinned to do the wire swapping.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned