The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New to GalantVR4 - my recently acquired GSX

1990ggsxnj

Quoting newpoppop:
cool. mine is the same color. I still need to find out what that color is actually called... but mine is almost an exact double, sale rust in the same spots. had to swap in another engine also. (don't ask) then we had a problem with the donor, apparently it got wet, and the clutch disk rusted to the PP. all is good now, just waiting for the output shaft seal, and it will be together again. just talking to Terry to get the ECU recapped and cleaned up as well...

Good luck...

Chris

What do you mean "don't ask"?! You can tell them I killed your engine by not tightening the damn crank bolt enough for a preliminary start-up. Havn't done it again since /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

best place i have found to shop for wheels is craigslist.org i scored atleast 4 sets with tires all for under $200 bux each. 4x114 limits your wheel packages though, thats why i swapped mine to 5 lug.

newpoppop

Quoting 1990ggsxnj:
Quoting newpoppop:
cool. mine is the same color. I still need to find out what that color is actually called... but mine is almost an exact double, sale rust in the same spots. had to swap in another engine also. (don't ask) then we had a problem with the donor, apparently it got wet, and the clutch disk rusted to the PP. all is good now, just waiting for the output shaft seal, and it will be together again. just talking to Terry to get the ECU recapped and cleaned up as well...

Good luck...

Chris

What do you mean "don't ask"?! You can tell them I killed your engine by not tightening the damn crank bolt enough for a preliminary start-up. Havn't done it again since /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i don't have to, you just did... once is enough...

thanks...

iriaf2001

AAHH!!!! I have a cracked Fuel Filler Hose, but no worries, thanks to this forum I found info on where to order one. Got one ordered from JNZ! Also the Check Engine light illuminated on my GSX, Im suspecting the O2 Sensor.

iriaf2001

Found a parts car at the local junk yard! Its a GSX, with automatic transmission though so its probably a 1991. Its almost complete minus the radiator, aluminum rims and driver side headlight. I now have a parts source!

Below is the car as she sits on the junk yard along with 3 other 89-91 2 wheel drive Galants. I think one of them is a GS and Ive been thinking about buying the seats off of the GS and installing it on my GSX

Interion of Galant GS

turbowop

That pwr/eco switch will probably fit nicely into your pocket. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There is a GS in one of the local junkyards here. I'm probably the only person that pulls parts off of it. It's a nice source to have.

Woosky117

Quoting iriaf2001:
...also blower motor does not turn on. So far all the fuses are good. Havent dug deeper into it but I hope I can get some info here about those issues.

i actually have the same problem with that blower motor. i dont know if i just missed something, or what, but some help in this part would be good.

iriaf2001

My issue turned out to be the blower motor. I replaced it with the blower motor from the Eagle Talon parts car I have. I would check to see if you are getting the right voltage to the blower motor, un-plug the wire to the motor and use a volt-meter. Lookup the procedure on Autozone.com, or it may be in the FAQs here. Also you may want to check the switch on the panel. Its funny, all the Galants at the local junk yard here has had all the blower motors removed\sold.

iriaf2001

So here is a funny story for everyone. I had to get my GGSX towed over the weekend, tie rod end on the driver side broke. So I called AAA for a tow truck, specifically told the dispatcher that its an ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE. About 25 minutes later a truck arrives....not a flatbed. I said, "you are not gonna tow my car with that"....driver says "why?"....I replied "its AWD". So he calls another tow truck driver and says "Hey Bob...you are never gonna believe this...its AWD!!!"...the other guy on the radio replies "what!? AWD 90 Galant...never heard of it". The driver tells me he has been towing for 20 years and have never even seen an AWD Galant. He has however seen and towed AWD Ford Tempos which seems to be harder to find nowadays.

SmoothCustomer

It seems like I hear these stories all the time. I had to have mine towed after my wheel fell off, and I said yeah it's awd so it needs a flat bed and they just said alright and a little while later a flat bed showed up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

chucklesas

Quoting iriaf2001:
So here is a funny story for everyone. I had to get my GGSX towed over the weekend, tie rod end on the driver side broke. So I called AAA for a tow truck, specifically told the dispatcher that its an ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE. About 25 minutes later a truck arrives....not a flatbed. I said, "you are not gonna tow my car with that"....driver says "why?"....I replied "its AWD". So he calls another tow truck driver and says "Hey Bob...you are never gonna believe this...its AWD!!!"...the other guy on the radio replies "what!? AWD 90 Galant...never heard of it". The driver tells me he has been towing for 20 years and have never even seen an AWD Galant. He has however seen and towed AWD Ford Tempos which seems to be harder to find nowadays.

They must be lying to you... when I lived in Cleveland I called AAA all the time to get my VR4 towed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Of course, they'd always bring out the regular truck and not the flatbed, so they'd just throw it on the dollies. Okay for short distances, I guess.

866galant

When i blew my head gasket last year I had to call for a tow truck.I told them its an AWD galant and was going to need a flatbed.Half an hour later a regular truck comes.The driver hops out and I tell him its AWD and he confirms when he looks under the car.Then its another half hour wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

iriaf2001

So does anyone know if I have to press the wheel bearings off on all 4 wheels on this 1990 GSX or can I buy the whole axle\bearing hub assembly and just replace the whole thing? Thanks for anyone who can help with this question.

iriaf2001

Currently in the processing of doing a work on the suspension. I have replaced 3 of 4 calipers, 2 of which were stuck. Replaced both front lower ball joints, driver side lower control arm, both front wheel bearings, both tie rod ends. All 4 shock\struts will be replaced with H&R Springs and KYB GR2 shocks. Most of the parts I bought from RockAut, the springs\shocks came from Tire Rack. A few parts bought from JNZ Tuning. Apart from the Sprint Seat\Boot which are Made in Japan all other parts such as the ball joints, control arm, calipers, rotors and brake pads are all made\manufactured\rebuilt in USA. Here are some pics of the work in progress:

Currently working on the rear suspension:

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned