The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Personal Best with 1837

GSTwithPSI

Quoting prove_it:
Problem with shimming the WG is that it leads to wear on the arm bushing and increases the chances of cracking the turbine housing. It works, but Justin over on tooners found a way to use a holset actuator on the stock MHI turbos. Gives you a 18psi spring can be had for cheap.

Justins high boost solution.

Yeah, this was actually going to be my next stop. Seems like people have had good luck with the modified Holset actuators.

I guess I could try shimming the actuator. No harm in trying the cheaper easier option first.

EfiniX

Great numbers! Mind sharing your link setup? I'd love to see your timing map and a WoT pull.

GSTwithPSI

Ok, nvmd. I got a bunch of messages asking for the tune, so I'll just post it here. I dialed in the new injectors about an hour before I drove to the track. As a result, my laptop was dead by the time I got to the track, and I don't have any actual pulls from that night. Here is a 3rd gear pull from earlier that day. The only changes I've really made since this log is rounding out the timing map a bit better. Everything else is pretty much the same.

click

For anyone who my try to use this (or parts of this) in their own car, here are my recommendations:

-Tweak the timing map for max power: I have the map set at 17* from about 4500 to redline. Depending on your turbo, you'll probably want to pull some timing early to help with spool, and add some up top near redline to make a bit of extra power (which is what my current map looks like). If you just need a consistent timing value to dial in your MAF/injectors, this will probably work for you as-is. I will post my updated timing map next time I grab a log.

-Tweak the MAF: I still need to pull some fuel as shown in this log. I'm fine with running a bit on the rich side, but I'm still a few points off from having the MAF dialed in perfect. I had to make a lot of changes from the 560s to the 1050s, which took a little work.

-Adjust the BCS duty cycle: Obviously, if you're running ECMtuning boost control, you'll want to dial the duty cycle back. I'm at 100% DC throughout nearly the entire RPM range.

I also dropped my launch limit to 4500. Not sure if this helped or hurt me, as I didn't get enough passes in to really get the feel for the new clutch.

89Patches

Bruh my old VR4 ran 13.7 @102 with just an exhaust, JDM intercooler and boost set to 17psi, otherwise it was stock. You need to be going faster!

EfiniX

Thanks for the log. It was your timing number that got my attention. I'm pushing 24psi on 92-octane pump gas off a T3/T04 and I'm still struggling with more timing v. more boost.

For now, I'm not doing any tuning until I get my IAT installed, but the more information I can take in, the better.

Much appreciated!

prove_it

More boost will ultimately make you more power. More air, more fuel, more power. As long as your still blowing less than hot air out of the turbo anyway.

EfiniX

Interesting. You've got almost exactly the same knock profile I have. Same counts at around the same RPM range w/ a similar throttle position.

I'm really starting to believe these cars just shake in the right way right around 3300RPM's to generate knock...

And a question: My BoostEst is generally tracking higher than my actual. I noticed your tracks lower and is more accurate through the pull. What is the method for getting the BoostEst to match what my OmniBar is showing me?

Last edited:

prove_it

Dialing in your airflowperrev at idle helps with that. That's the base number link uses to calculate boostest. Now in days it's not a big deal if it's off. As long as trims, deadtime, and global fuel all seem good then it's not worth chasing trying to get it lined up.

And yes, 3k-3500rpms seem to have the biggest phantom knock. Some believe that BSE leads to this, but I've seen it on BS equipped cars too. I've had it on my cars too. My link ignores knock until around 3400.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Quoting 89Patches:
Bruh my old VR4 ran 13.7 @102 with just an exhaust, JDM intercooler and boost set to 17psi, otherwise it was stock. You need to be going faster!

I agree. I picked up almost 3mph in the 1/4 but only shaved just over 1/10th of a second off my ET. All I can say is my launches need work and my transmission is garbage. Eventually, I'll get both worked out. The trap speed suggests the car has the ability to run a better ET, so it's not too terribly discouraging to me. If I was able to get a few more runs in that night, I definitely think I could have made a faster pass.

Quoting EfiniX:
Interesting. You've got almost exactly the same knock profile I have. Same counts at around the same RPM range w/ a similar throttle position.

I'm really starting to believe these cars just shake in the right way right around 3300RPM's to generate knock...

And a question: My BoostEst is generally tracking higher than my actual. I noticed your tracks lower and is more accurate through the pull. What is the method for getting the BoostEst to match what my OmniBar is showing me?

Honestly, unless my car is knocking under heavy throttle, I ignore it for the most part.

The BoostEst is calculated from your airflow per rev. Since you don't have a MAF, you'd probably need to make adjustments to your VE table to dial this in better. You should see BoostEst line up with actual boost at 100% VE, or around 5500-6500 RPM for most cars. As Ryan said, I wouldn't worry too much about it if everything else is where it should be.

GSTwithPSI

Ran a 12.9 @ 105 with 1837 tonight. Cut a 1.8 60' as well; my best to date. Only got 2 runs in before test and tune got rained out, and one of my cooling fans ate itself. Overall, I'm still really happy with the car.

I've got in car video I'll post up later.

WP_003148.jpg

DSC01212.JPG

DSC01214.JPG

WP_003150.jpg

GSTwithPSI

My buddy who was there with me said it was a 5.0 Coyote (He's a Mustang owner, so I assume he knows). Not sure how modded it was though. I ripped a good 3 cars on him out of the hole, and we were door to door by the 1/8th. I'll post up the video tomorrow, which shows a bit of the action.

marvinmadman

My buddy has a 2014 base model 5.0 that did 12.40 @ 117 completely stock. Well it had a drop in K&N and MagnaFlo mufflers lol.

marvinmadman

You are getting better though. Drop that 60' a little more and see that ET come down.

GSTwithPSI

Yeah, the new 5.0 is a pretty incredible motor. There were quite a few guys there in Mustangs, Vettes and Camaros. Most of them were also on street tires, spinning like hell out of the hole.

LIV4PSI

Car looks great as always Brett, and definitely has some more in it

GSTwithPSI

Thanks, Craig.

Here's the video of the run: 1837 goes 12.9

Edit: Pay close attention to the Corvette in my lane during staging. Dude almost puts it into the wall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Last edited:

marvinmadman

That's why that Coyote is slower than it should. It's got the terrible MT82 trans

prove_it

I bet you could run 12.7 with a hot pipe..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts