The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Owner of #1899/2000

minneSNOWta

^Thanks manik. I am glad you think I'm doing things right.

^Thanks Shane. No I will not be at the shootout. If I'm fortunate enough, I might try to crash Cars & Coffee in MN, so CarRacer can see the car or show up at the Mitsu Cookout in MN too.

Alright guys, it looks like Spring is here. Time for some updates and hopefully soon this thing will be running. I'm stuck on setting timing belt tension with the motor in, so I might take the car in to get properly degreed to cam card specs. Other then that, it's just putting new clamps on and checking torque specs.

Used OEM sunroof deflector thanks to gizmovr4.

New custom battery tie-down made by my friend Matt in machine class. Thanks lil' boy!

Used StarQuest rear-view mirror. Thanks to Curtis for the idea.

New SSR B-type High center caps.

Used AMG spark plug cover. Need to freshen up the letters with some paint. Thanks jordanvr4.

New Koni Yellow Sport struts from KC. 1G front inserts and 2G rears. Need to decide on springs and rates. Also need to get front inserts installed into new KYB GR-2 housings.

New Brembo slotted 1G DSM rotors. I think I read the late model 2G's had a different style rotor.

New Project Mu Type NS pads front and rear. They do make pads and rotors for our cars if some of you are into the JDM stuff. Don't see too many people using them or even Endless.

Better pic of the ETS FMIC.

Used StarQuest open leather head rests. Bolt right in. I kind of want to go for the Monte Carlo look.

New 2G leather heavy shift knob. Stock shift knob had no numbers left and is a little light. Trying to keep the interior quiet because of the aftermarket Momo steering wheel. Already scratched the new knob somehow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

New Momo Monte Carlo. Fits well with the car, is period-correct, and a classic. Spoon Sports and Ferrari used them. The stock steering wheel was worn badly, so it had to go. Already managed to scratch it when pulling the underdash out. Sharp brackets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

New clutch, brake, and gas pedals. Just a little dirty from the garage. Grips on the old ones were pretty worn.

Used '89 underdash. Looks like a regular storage compartment similar to the one in my '96 Camry. Thanks strokin4dr.

Oh so sleepy. Buddy Matt H. made the backing plate in machine class for me. Thanks to Matt H. for the work and Mr. Mitsu for his idea. New AEM wideband/boost gauge and used AEM oil pressure gauge. Need to get the oil pressure hooked up. Thanks to onesickcrx for the oil gauge.

Been collecting grilles to switch up the look if I feel like. I think it is so badass that we have so many OEM grilles to choose from. Used '92 grille thanks to Paul Thornton.

New '89 aftermarket grille. Non-OEM. Quality is so-so. I think I might want a real one with the big diamonds later on. The slats on this grille go so well with the JDM front bumper slats. Cheekypimp inspired me.

Used Cusco front strut bar. Thanks MMCVR4.

Been stockpiling badges. New Galant badge.

New NLA MMC and matching diamonds.

New VR-4 badge.

New Super VR-4 badge. Thanks Ahmad.

New Tuned by AMG badge for the chrome mesh grille. Thanks G.

New Full Time badge. Thanks oldmantau.

New Ralliart trunk badge. Thanks G.

New Ralliart grille badge. Might use two of the emblems without bracket for the fenders. Thanks G.

New GReddy FV (Floating Valve) BOV. These have been out less than a year I think. Haven't seen anyone on here using one, so I am testing it out. Going to be recirculated, but just thought I'd show the new funnel design. Also new 32mm recirc fitting in black. No option for blue. Also notice the details in the new design. Not trying to whore, but I like the details. Fakes are already available.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Looks hot B! I has project u /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If you need a set holla.

IMG_8659.jpg

IMG_8670.jpg

IMG_8671.jpg

minneSNOWta

Hey Brett. Mike's car doesn't have that many badges on it. Stickers yes, but the only non-OEM badge I see is his custom flex fuel one. I'm not going to slap every single one on the car. Just been collecting.

Some grilles had their own badges. The Eterna ZR-4 grille I have has it's own 4x4 grille badge, which is uber rare by the way. Got it BNIB and will probably never see the streets after it gets painted because I'm afraid of damaging the grille and rare badge. Might just pop it on at a show or something.

It's nice to be able to change grilles out and some of the grille badges. They're all factory anyways and will be placed in the proper OEM location. The Ralliart ones are more to pay homage and they are OEM ones from G, not Chinese knockoffs. My '92 and Eterna Sava grilles will get the Full Time and the '91 will get the Tuned by AMG(like the Type-II grille). Not sure about the Ralliart one. Probably won't be using the VR-4 badge, but it's nice to have I think.

Think I might even go badgeless for a while except maybe grille badges until I get to paint and use the '89 grille with no Mitsu logo. Could be a long while before paint too. Sorry for the rant, just thought I'd explain myself.

Thanks G. I will think about it. I got black vinyl covered stainless Techna-Fit lines already for a sleeper look. The Mu lines do look hot and quality.

Last edited:

welcome Andre.... Your part is on the way.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

minneSNOWta

Hoping to see a little light like some of the other fellas on here.

Got the gauges for the '89 pocket powered up.

View from the seat. The GReddy Profec B is powered too. It doesn't want to fit in the ashtray with the hinge in the way, so I might try to make a plate out of the face of the ashtray to cover it up. Not sure if I mentioned, but I'm going to change the stock boost gauge to read coolant temp instead.

Instead of going with the RAYS lugs my bro sold me with the wheels, I decided on SSR 48mm extended lug nuts. Less loud since the wheels already hurt my sleeper status.

I bought Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A tires to put on the SSR's. They are 225/50-16. Bridgestone was offering a $70 rebate at the time. I really wanted Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R's, but the wait from Japan would have been who knows long. These are revised versions of the RE-11, but the A stands for auto-x. Old versus new.

Looks like a great combo. I can't confirm a weight, but the wheels are ~18.8lbs.

Bad-ass tread pattern. They are asymmetrical.

Comparing the small gain in width.

View of the meat. Protecting the wheel is a must.

Only shot I have of the wheel with the body. Should look pretty hot and like a spiced-up version of the color-matched OEM wheels.

Mounted the Profec controller right off the turbo. I had it too far away before. I put the DEI cool wrap on the hose going to the wastegate in case it gets too hot next to the water pipe since it is thinner hose. Lower radiator hose installed too.

I wrapped the oil feed line with the same DEI cool wrap to protect the line from rubbing against the radiator fins. MAP gave me the wrong size and too much, but you work with what you got sometimes. I rolled the wrap even tighter afterwards.

Replaced the stock fuel filter to rail line with a -6AN kit from JNZ. The OEM Fuel filter still has less than 50 miles on it.

Fixed the DSMtooners HD spa hose mod. Replaced with a 90 degree elbow, 1.25" aluminum hose joiner, and a 135 degree elbow. Not very short, but this should get the business done. The HD spa hose seemed too thin and easy to puncture, but it was only temporary anyways.

Close to the upper radiator hose, but with a little tweaking it should be fine. Going to space them, so they won't rub as much.

Found a discontinued GReddy oil cap. Added a new OEM seal and it seals very tight. I gave the mirror etched oil cap to Andy (Mn92gvr4) when he came up to pick up the RRE spark plug cover. The Evo cap is nice, but I don't like the Mobil 1 branding on there as much. STM used to make different oil decals for the caps, but I think they stopped. Couldn't find the GReddy in blue, but it looks nice.

Mounted the AMG cover to see how it all looks. I also stripped the black paint I had on the IM letters. Need to get them polished to match the valve cover.

Sunroof deflector installed. Took me a minute to figure out how to align the clips.

Window deflectors from Nameka. They seem to be built with decent quality. IIRC, Shane was the one who mentioned reinforcing with extra tape at the parts where it meets the door, so I did that too.

Rear windshield deflector from Nameka. Seems decent quality too and the clips appear to hold it on well. I was hoping it would have a gasket for rain, but we'll see how it works. The JDM door handle protectors aren't installed yet, just mocked. Need to scrape all the old crap off. JDM fuel door is also installed.

New fuel rail bolts and a new BISS screw cap. Also tucked the injector wires to floss the rail. I need to get all the clips still. Working on doing easy tucks here and there, but nothing serious.

Trying to button up the car and get it towed to MAP. Most of my car friends have left town and moved on, so I can only do so much for being a wrench newb. I try to do as much as I can or get help from friends before I take it into a shop. Archer Racing doesn't do DSM tuning, so I figured MAP is the best option since they have a Dynojet. They also built the block and will hopefully get it running properly for a 2.5 hour drive back up north. The steering rack needs the blockoffs installed, so I can drive with power.

Cams still need to get degreed according to the cam card specs. I figure that I should have a shop do it, since I can't even set my timing belt tension with confidence. I find it somewhat difficult to set the tension with the motor in the car even with the timing tools. Hopefully it will idle nice and right with all the repairs and degreeing. I have a new Fluidampr that will be going on and all new Gates and OEM accessory belts too.

I got a nice fuel sending unit from Evan Hale that I will run with a rewired Supra TT pump. Using the 560's for now, but am looking for 720's or maybe more. I would like to be able to run the E316G close to full boost on pump gas eventually. No E85 for me. Mentioned earlier that I am using a N/T auto FPR at 43.5 psi. Not sure if I need to get an adjustable one yet unless recommended, but I have all the supplies minus the AFPR to do so. Been eyeing a Tomei unit.

Waiting on the 5-lug swap, wheels, rotors, pads, lines for now until it runs. Then hopefully in the fall I can get them done along with the 4-bolt rear and axles. I can't man-handle the 5-lug swap, so I might have Archer do it. Then they can slip all my new stuff on that is a "while I'm there" job. Will be refreshing the calipers in black too.

Sent my JDM bumper and lip into a body shop and boy did they mess up. I'm too embarrassed to show the shoddy work, so I will wait until I get it fixed. Needs to be properly molded/joined in the middle and mounting holes relocated. Exterior mods are almost done. No JDM rear bumper for me I think. I like the USDM bumper side markers and would not feel comfortable grafting those onto a JDM.

Decided to get different catch cans and am waiting for them to be built. Should be good.

Still need to do bushings all around, but that will be later on too. Rear Whiteline sway bar too. Also, the CAS cover is ugly and I need to paint it black or get a MAP billet cover. The AMG corners need dual filament sockets, so I have parking lights. That's all I can think of for now. More to come, but it's been a slow summer.

I posted the following pics below earlier in Anything Goes, but they are somewhat relevant. A little piece of morale I found while digging around a box of golf balls I was given as a gift almost 10 years ago. Ironic isn't it? Mitsubishi makes club shafts I believe.

Just for fun. Bridgestone technology FTW! Rubber game on lock! Kind of random, but pro golfer Freddie Couples is sponsored by Mitsubishi Electric and Bridgestone. What a pimp.

0627couples-halleran.jpg

Sorry guys, back on track now... Don't judge me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif.

Last edited:

manikbastrd

So much work in on this car. Makes all the work I have put in on mine look like nothing. Good on ya.

the_underdog

Well done sir! You've made excellent progress and I love those SSRs!

ApexHunter

^Ditto, good choice with those wheels. The gauges look great fitted into that pocket. Maybe wrap some black felt or something around that panel? I dig machined finish stuff, and i'm just thinking out loud here. Anyway some nice things happening in here.

minneSNOWta

Derek - Thanks. Still a lot to go on the car. It never ends.

Shane - Thanks for the tape tip.

Tom - Thanks. Could get more done if I had that sick lift you got. Need my own house first.

David - Thanks. Bro gets all the cred on picking them. The fact they happen to fit was meant to be. Brother power! Yes, I will probably find something laying around to wrap that, because I don't like the look of aluminum in our interior.

Tried to get the car towed to MAP, but they don't do "service" anymore. I'm sure jeverts knows all about that. Said they would be happy to degree my motor if I take it out and bring it in. Nope. Thinking of going to RS Motors(Ron) or DB Performance(Shane). Probably not going to make any tow trips through this winter. Will just gather parts for now and try to save a little bit. That doesn't make sense. I want to do all the "while I'm at it" stuff like fresh suspension bits and so on.

Took a while to decide, but went with JNZ delrin under-hood shifter bushings. Pressed right in with a C-clamp. I like these because they are self-lubricating.

Switched the catch can setup to a Saikou Michi S1-DC3 unit. Mr. Michi was nice and accommodated my request for another scratch logo. Went with the stock 3/8" nipples. Still using the same Boomba check valve too. For the routing of the lines, I followed "Improved Factory Setup" in Calan's article mentioned here. Don't worry, I ran out of new clamps from here on, but they will be going on.

Switched out the N/T auto FPR with a Tomei Type-S AFPR and Tomei pressure gauge. Hopefully I can figure out how to get rid of the air bubble. The fuel return is stock size, but -6AN going in. May have to mount this better.

Finished up the other side thanks to JNZ.

Picked up some 93? tails from Turboren's stash. Rocking these in his honor. Thanks for the sleeper tails!

Eterna Sava grille. Thanks Ahmad. Eterna collection complete.

Traded a set of spare 93 lights I got off of jordanvr4 to Alan in AK for this bad boy.

Abbey Road Company. Didn't know that's what ARC stood for until recently.

Came with this filter, but I will be replacing it with an ARC Version II Type A filter once they get off backorder.

Got these customized mats from Pistol Peter(turboflanagan). Thanks buddy. The mat guys made mistakes and Peter worked with me to resolve them. I chose to do the Galant logo in gold after gaining inspiration from seeing JDM rear 1/4 glass with gold Galant logos. Also, had the VR-4 logo done in gold since the badges are gold when new. No jocking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I'm super cereal.

Forgot to mention that I had bought a couple of these off of Steve and had them engraved at a local jewelry store. Just brought a pic of the dash badge and told them to replicate it perfectly. Looks good IMO.

Convinced turbowopdago to sell his AMG grille to me. Thanks Mark, love you long time. Eventually, I hope to find the diamond badge.

Rear Cusco strut bar. Thanks G. Would have bought all new from Bob, but I got the front and rear used for a good price.

G tempted me with these Project Mu lines, so I caved and bought them.

GSTwithPSI

Damn, the gold actually looks really good. I never would have guessed. Was the custom thread color more? Would you mind saying what the set cost you?

The car is looking great overall. Good work!

img.php

minneSNOWta

Brett - Thanks. I took a huge risk on the gold. Peter could not find me a finished sample and the color in the sample chart doesn't do this gold justice. He would have been pissed if I didn't like it, but they turned out perfect. Was not extra for different thread color. Paid $165 shipped with the custom setup fee. I will cut anyone that tries to jock with my pecker. No dancing around that one. Anyone can borrow my idea, but I always try my best to acknowledge any cool ideas I may have borrowed from people. Ahmad had rear 1/4's for sale and seeing this is what inspired me.
20141213_185330.jpg

I don't post meme's and sh*t because I'm not into that, but this perfectly describes how I felt when I got the mats in.
91997-I-love-gold-gif-Goldmember-Mik-o3Xn.gif

Shane - Thanks. I got the AMG from Mark the day after x-mas. He was feeling jolly this season.

PolskiVR4 has a viscous LSD for me and I just need to get new rear axles(non-OEM for warranty), new cups, and new hardware to do during the 5-lug swap. Need to get new knuckles(may just clean these up or get FWD ones), brake dust shields, control arms, inner and outer tie rods, links, bushings, and anything else that needs a refreshing at the time.

Still trying to sort out camber plates and springs for the Koni's. For springs, I'm thinking that I want 2.5" Swift coilover springs. 7" 8K front and 9" 6K rear, which should be under the limit before a revalving is necessary. Koni also sells a threaded coilover kit and I will need 2.25" to 2.5" nylon spring adapters. Won't be using their upper hat. Trying to work with Robert at RRE to get camber plates made that don't require strut tower drilling and they also come with upper hats that utilize Torrington bearings. Also need new front KYB GR2's to gut for the front Koni inserts.

Been thinking about getting some reman'd 3000GT SL calipers to increase the braking a little bit too. Goal is to paint them black to keep quiet. New brackets and hardware to keep it fresh too. Then the Mu pads and lines can go on. Also considering Project Mu G-Four 335 DOT4 brake fluid. Expensive, but it seems to be one of the best out there. Nice that it changes from green to clear went spent.

More to come over the winter.

ApexHunter

Buncha nice parts. The Michi cans came out really nice.

The bubble in the FP gauge looks like every other one i've seen click

Mn92gvr4

Looking good man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif cant wait to see that beast in action.

minneSNOWta

David - Thanks. I like the Michi's. Also read that you can move the air bubble to the back of the gauge, but I haven't been successful.

Andy - Thanks. We'll have to line the beasts up!

Got the ARC Version II A-Type filter in from Japan. Arigato! Won't be visible when installed, but no big deal. K&N is legit, but this is a heat-welded, dual-layer, dry foam compared to K&N's wet foam. Very nice quality actually. Goku-san approves of Super Induction.

Found this rare GReddy 2G intake pipe for sale as part of a package. Thanks Martin for inspiring me to get one. You were right. Hard to find and only comes with the turbo/intercooler kit for 2G GST. Comes with two smaller nipples welded on, but I will be capping off the charcoal canister one. Still going to use the valve cover vent line. Couplers are kind of beat up, but I got new ones coming.

All attached together. Still using a 2G MAF for air metering. Just need to figure out a mounting solution to the body. BOV recirc nipple is easy to access as well, so it won't be hard to fab up another silicone couple recirc hose. Waiting on a straight coupler section and I should have the right bends. The hose joiner will come in handy.

The other part of the package deal. Blown GReddy TD05H-18G. Got the turbo and intake pipe for a steal, so this worked out perfectly. Serial number plate is worn away, but this is a real deal unit. Plan is to have my friend, Matt G., work his magic and convert it to a 20G. He was the former turbo builder at MAP and does stuff in his spare time. Jason(jeverts) can probably vouch for his work. Need to modify the compressor outlet and have new hotside pipes made for the ETS intercooler setup too. Won't be able to get the piping done until I can get it to a shop.

I've read that these turbos are 7cm internally with 6cm inlets. My buddy should have a 7cm housing laying around to bolt on.

Next plan of attack is to collect more suspension bits, look into larger injectors, and continue working on the little things. Probably leaning towards 1000cc-ish, so I have a good amount of room to grow.

Last edited:

coyotes

I had an Evo III ARC box in 981/2000:

It was mounted into a sheet of carbon fiber which was glued into place creating an effective heat shield.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned