The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Owner of 1837/2000

Brett Adams' Galant VR-4

GSX_TC

Congrats Brett, finally you'll be coming to the shootout. Did you get my text the other day?

bobdole

Very very nice car. Great job.

turbowop

Quoting coyotes:
move over 1051

It's comments like this that make people think I'm some kind of conceited asshole about my car, yet I'm not the one who makes them. I can't stand that sh*t. Brett's car is exceptional and he's done an amazing job of cleaning it up. I'm glad to see it in good hands and am excited to see what comes of it I the future. This isn't some competition to have the most amazing gvr4. It's just a community with sweet, rare, rally heritage cars.

89Patches

Quoting turbowop:
This isn't some competition to have the most amazing gvr4.

Now if only more people thought this....

Anyway these new pic's really show how far your car has come in a relatively short time! This thread is a great motivator for those who are JSB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Also I swear gold/bronze rims on these cars really set them off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

BENE38A

Car has come out great mate, I have taken alot in on how you approached the engine bay and is on my to do list whilst the motor is out. enjoy it.

slugsgomoo

Quoting 89Patches:
Quoting turbowop:
This isn't some competition to have the most amazing gvr4.

Now if only more people thought this....

Agreed to a point, though at least for me, the examples of cars like Brett's, Mark's, Nelson's, James Foster, #3 and others have definitely pushed me to work harder to really make the most of what the car can be. I don't know that competing to be the most amazing is the right term, but I definitely think there is a top tier of gvr4 that is worth aspiring to. To some extent, trying to better the standard of excellence simply pushes the standard, and I think that as a community we all benefit from that. I don't want to look at my car in 20 years and have it be the way it is today, I'd like it to be cleaner, nicer, etc.

the_underdog

Well done! I can't wait to see your car at the shootout!

GSTwithPSI

Thanks again, guys, for all the positive feedback. I really do appreciate it.

I don't post here to be part of a competition. Honestly, this thread is more for me than anyone. I post tons of crap up here so I can look back and see what I've accomplished, and also remember how and when I did it. For me personally, this is more of a easy-to-access reference document than anything. I don't know how many times I've done something to 1813 or 1837, and then forgot how to do it down the road.

That being said, I do like to share my accomplishments with you guys here. I really appreciate the fact that people think enough of my car (and the work I've done to it) to use it as inspiration for their own builds. I appreciate that because I know other build threads have inspired me, and have given me ideas influencing things I've done to the car. I'm not trying to be better than the next guy, but just like Mark always says; I'm just trying to do my own thing and some people like it...some people don't. I'm not trying to tailor my build to the crowd just to get a prize at the end.

Coyotes didn't mean anything by what he said. He was just being clever as usual. I can understand Mark not wanting to be brought in other people's build threads, though. I believe his reason for this is probably because he doesn't want the thread sidetracked with every member's opinion about whose car is better than 1051. He's been here a long time, and has had to deal with sh*t like that consistently over the years, and, I can imagine it gets old after a while. I know, because when I was a noob here, I threw it in his face myself. In retrospect, I had it coming, and am probably better off for it now. Sometimes, you don't want to hear people tell you you're all fucked up. The problem is, that's usually when you need to hear it the most, regardless of how much you think you're in the right.

I'm envious of Mark/1051 in the sense that he is happy with 1051 in its current state. He has all the major pieces in place, and is at a point where he can enjoy the car for what it is. There probably aren't many guys here like that. Most of us are waiting for that next big turbo upgrade or whatever...always on the quest for more horsepower. I'm in that boat right now, and while I am definitely happy with my car, it's nowhere near where I want to be. I've had to make compromises on my build due to time and money constraints. I still have tons of things I still want to do to the car, and it is years away from where I'd like it to be.

Last edited:

turbowop

Thanks, Brett. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from. And even my car isn't done yet. Like most people, other hobbies and budget constraints/life have kept me from being able to do everything I want to my car. It seems to come in spurts where I'll do a bunch of stuff one year and then a couple years of nothing go by. I have several thousand dollars worth of ideas for my car floating around in my head right now. Eventually, I'll get to it all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I need to take some of your ideas on cleaning up the upper firewall. That looks really clean with all the wiring and other sh*t hidden away.

GSTwithPSI

Well, no Shootout this year. I still have some bugs to work out of the car before I trust it to make a 1,000 mile trip. The weekend won't be a complete waste though. I can start doing some of the stuff I was holding off on until I returned from the shootout. I also got some other stuff done to the car in preparation for the Shootout, which I probably would have put off. Now, it's done and I don't have to worry about it. One of things was an alignment.

I took the car to a local shop, and they did a really good job getting things set how I wanted them. The tech doing the alignment actually listened to what I wanted done, and didn't act like I was some idiot blabbing on about nothing. I asked the tech to keep me at -1* on all four corners. Here's how it turned out:
Alignment0001.jpg

I replaced the radiator with a Spectra OEM replacement unit. I wish I would have waited out for a Koyo replacement, but I was trying to make it to the Shootout, and this is all I could get overnight. I fits good, and seems like a well made part overall.
WP_001532.jpg

I also changed the oil again. This will be oil change #3 since the new motor went in. Lastly, I got a chance to run a claybar over the car. I picked up a kit from the parts store, which seemed to work really well. Now I just need to give the paint a good polish and it should look like new.
WP_001529.jpg

So, things to do in the near future.

-Install my HKS 272s

-Pull the transmission, and get rid of the welded diff. I f***ing HATE THE WELDED DIFF. As soon as I get a chance, the trans is coming out and that diff is going in the trash. For you guys who drive with the welded diff, you are better men than me. I can't stand the feel of binding axles and popping CV joints. The welded diff absolutely ruins the drivability of the car IMO. By far, putting in a welded diff is the most regrettable upgrade I've ever done to ANY car. I would highly NOT recommend one.

-Pay off my 3KGT brakes and get them on the car.

-Throw in my Evo 590's

-Install my 2G MAF and intake pipe.

-Pick up a wideband and install it.

-Pick up some 5mm spacers for the rear of the car and install them.

I'll start my to-do list off with the HKS 272s I have on the shelf waiting to go in. I'll probably to the quick swap trick that Tom used and see if I can sneak these in the tomorrow.

transparentdsm

Just saw your members showcase, i love this freaking car. might be my favorite VR4 as of now. its such a well rounded setup and it looks so freaking good. you have put so much work into making this thing what it is, time to be proud and show this bad girl off. Way to go Brett !!!!

GSTwithPSI

Hey, Shane, thanks so much for the kind words. I drove it to work today about 80 miles round trip. It was so nice just to get behind the wheel and enjoy the car. I don't care what anyone says, JSBallin is overrated.

turbowop

Is that a 4-spider? I was tempted to swap to one, but the welded diff just doesn't bother me that bad, and I don't have to worry about breaking it at the track. I guess I've just gotten used to it.

transparentdsm

Quoting turbowop:
Is that a 4-spider? I was tempted to swap to one, but the welded diff just doesn't bother me that bad, and I don't have to worry about breaking it at the track. I guess I've just gotten used to it.

im a fan. its really only a problem in tight parking spots, but if you have PS it really isn't anything. it was a little rough in the RS AWD bc no PS, but after a week i could do it one handed.

Brett your more then welcome. i wish and still hope one day we can both go to the shootout and id love the see your car in person.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Yeah, I hate the welded diff. The car pops and sh*t every time I'm making low speed turns. The tires chirp when making tight low speed turns. After a tight turn, you have to roll 10 ft or so in a straight line before the driveline unbinds. It's also hard on my clutch when trying to maneuver into a parking space. I have to slip the clutch enough to keep from stalling the car, while still giving it enough release to move the car over the drivetrain binding. It's horrible, and just ruins the drivability of the car IMO. I can't wait swap it out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts