The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New Member. Owner of 119/2000.

Lonewolf64

The only thing you need to worry about with adjustable fuel pressure regulators is that you get a quality unit. Aeromotive makes a good product as does Fuel Labs to name a couple of good manufacturers. Personally I picked up this kit, but I can't speak of well it does as I have not yet installed it. click

Hope this helps.

NYC86ZC

Quoting JustTouge:
Awesome. Great response thank you. Well I think I understand most of the basics that I will need.

The only thing that I have left to ask is... Does it matter what kind of adjustable Fuel pressure regulator I Use? Can it be universal or should I invest in a Galant specific model.

As wolf said don't get a cheapo ebay FPR or you may become another statistic:
click

Welcome. You're doing pretty good on this site so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:

steve

To install the Keydiver chip you will need to get the ECU socketed. As Lonewolf said, if the caps haven't been replaced you need to send it out for caps and to be socketed for a chip. I believe Terry Posten on this board is still doing that. Welcome.

I am from waupaca WI (in between stevens point and appleton) but I am currently going to school at UWOshkosh.

Out of the previous modifications listed is there a certain one that anyone thinnks I should try to do first?
I was leaning towards the FPR, and the Boost Controller.

raptorWagon

Does this car still have 4WS(4 wheel Steering) intact? if so you should remove that, it will be one less headache you have to deal with in the long run.

Lonewolf64

The absolute first thing to do is check on the condition of the ECU. At that point the first mods I would do is 2g style intake with 2g MAS, battery relocation, larger injectors and Keydiver chip. After this, get yourself a decent AFPR and finally a boost controller. I honestly wouldn't drive the car around until it had some kind of base tune on it (aka Keydiver chip). The AFPR is pretty important too, because of what you've already experienced as a super rich condition idling.

You mention the car has a A/F gauge. Is it the retarded blinky gauge or is it a decent numerical gauge? Also, does the car have a wideband O2 sensor installed? This will be a pretty important tool for self tuning later on. A narrowband gauge is almost completely useles.

4WS is still intact and works perfectly.

The first thing I will be checking as soon as I see the car again will be the ECU, wont even start it until I know if the caps have been replaced.

The only concern I have about doing the Keydiver early on is that if I increase boost levels later on, will I have to buy a new chip? Or should I just order the chip Pre modified for boost levels and planned future modifications?(doesnt seem like a good idea to me). I have been being told that a 2G MAS isn't needed unless I am planning on over 400hp. Can anyone elaborate on this?

The AF gauge is pretty useless, just some different color lights blinking around at me. No wideband O2 either.

Lonewolf64

The Keydiver chip you need is not dependent on boost levels. It is only dependent on your fuel pressure, air metering (1g, 2g, 3g, GM, VPC, etc), and injector size and a few other small variables.

Swapping to a 2g style intake with a 2g MAS is worth a LOT of power, and is quite easy to do. Even a bone stack car will see a huge difference in spool up time and power with those 2 mods and trust me, if you plan to do any mods at all this should be on the list.

Anyway, that is why I recommend doing the intake/injectors/2g MAS, and keydiver chip all at once, obviously after you've checked the ECU. Once you have those base mods, you'll never have to get another keydiver chip unless you go with even bigger injectors. Even so, Keydiver offers a special deal on return customers.

I ran the same Keydiver chip for 3 years and you can be sure that the car kept getting modified, and just now did I upgrade to a new chip, because I was maxing out my Evo 8 injectors and decided I needed larger injectors.

The next thing I would do for your car is add an AFPR, and only after that would I think about doing other mods. Get your car in a proper state of tune before raising boost!

Again, awesome info. Thank you.

I will plan on purchasing those modifications first, MAS,Chip, and injectors. I will try an avoid driving the car until all of that is installed as well. When you mention 2G intake style, how much different is that?

Also, someone on here mentioned 750cc injectors. Is there a reason I should go this big? I currently have a set of 550cc's that I could install. Should I just avoid installing the 550's and jump to the 750's? I noticed buscher racing carried 780cc's for a reasonable price, anyone have an opinion on those?

Lonewolf64

550 are fine, but they won't give you that much room to increase boost later. If you install those and get a chip made for 550 and then later decide to add more boost but need more fuel. You'll need to buy bigger injectors and a larger chip. Keydiver offers combination buys for chip+injectors that is a really good deal btw. He flow matches the injectors for you as well.

The 2g style intake looks like the one I posted earlier in this thread. The stock intake and 1g MAS is a large restriction but a 2g intake/MAS will take care of that issue. The only thing is that you'll have to relocate your battery to either the trunk or to where the stock intake location is. This is also apparent from the picture posted in this thread.

Here is a link for a FS thread in which you can find the 2g MAS/intake for an awesome price of $100. Great guy to buy from as well: click

Here is Keydiver's website. click You could get an AFPR, injectors, and a chip from him. He would probably make you a pretty good package deal, since he is a really nice guy.

Here is a link in the How-To forums on battery relocation: click

Here is a link to a FS thread where a battery relocation tray is currently available for $10: click

Here is a link that is also about battery relocation: click

I found all of this in about 30 seconds using the search tool and typing in "+battery +tray +relocation -Re:"

Learn how to search. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

WoW, tons of great info. Thanks.

Your search skills amaze me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

I will read through all of this and see if I find any other questions.

Is there a general fuel PSI that I should say when ordering the chip? I won't have an AFPR for awhile by the looks of my funding.

Lonewolf64

Stock is 37.5 psi if I remember correctly. You should check with Keydiver himself to make sure that is right. Are you getting injectors with that, and set up for a 2g MAS? Just send Keydiver an email or PM on this board and ask him yourself.

kartorium

How come every newbie isn't like this guy?

All forming sentences and making some effort to search and not be retarded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Welcome to the site.

Last edited:

Lonewolf64

Quoting JustTouge:
Thanks I pm'd him.

Is a AFPR needed if I plan on running 17psi?

I think I made it clear you'll need an AFPR regardless if you want your car to run right. Your supra fuel pump is going to outrun your stock FPR regardless of whether you run 2psi or 200psi.

Welcome to the board.
There's alot of knowledgable people here to assist you in just about any problem you run into.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned