The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New E85 conversion setup

Alight folks, finally got the injectors installed for the E85 change over. currently running PTE880cc's and previously I was running RC550cc's.
Well, I noticed Gvr4 ran little sluggish at first , but after i put about 10 gallons of E85. Car runs the same just like before the injector change. I noticed smokes coming out of exhuast and car still feels somewhat slugglish at times. (dont worry, I will get it tuned once the COP comes in!)
Anyways, I was hoping I can get some pointers/tips on what to do next, what to watch out for, ect? Any comments will definately help because I really dont know too much about e85 setup.

Diego

I feel that E85 should be had with 1000cc+ injectors. Make sure your fuel pump will hold up, and make sure your lines are AN and oversized because E85 is thick.

Just watch over it carefully, I am soon to be in the E85 category once all my parts arrive (injectors and COP and other things)

Yea. Thanks for the heads up!
I did some research before changing over to e85. Funny as it sounds, there are some local GVR4 owners who are running e85 on stock system and had no problems for years. I am worried about the fuel pump but I have walboro pump so it should hold. everything else has been upgraded. fuel line and rail with the AFPR. I can always go back to 550cc's if things dont work out. This change was recommneded to me by one of my close friend/tuner who operates one of the best local performacne shops that concentrates on DSM's and Subaru's. He has made some crazy power on stock Evo's with E85.

click

AuSpecVr4

Im having trouble with e85 atm, i have a walbro 255 and delphi 850cc injectors with an FPR, upgraded -6 fuel line and rail. I set my FPR to 37 psi with vacuum disconnected at idle (warmed up) then reconected it drops down to about 34-32 on idle. ECM link settings i have input around -35% global and 850cc injector size. It still is to rich up top for E85 on my AFR gauge, it reads 10.5-11.2 when pulling and i get some knock from time to time. I haven't bothered with speed density settings yet as to i want to get my Base fuel settings correct and i havent been able to since. Right now i have the fuel sliders at -17% past 3000 RPM and when lowering them i felt more solid pulls. I still think its to rich but i was told i need to be running around -30% global.

Would a 2.4l change what my base fuel settings be? even so it should take more fuel then a 2.0L making me need more fuel, i can't figure out how to set my Global fuel settings.

prove_it

Hi-jacked thread.

One thing to keep in mind, as I learned this a while ago is that it's important to drain the tank prior to swapping to E85. Even one gallon of gas will throw everything off.

As for 850 settings generally -27% and 330 deadtime would be your starting point. Don't bother with the fuel sliders until you are idling perfectly.

Best bet is to go to ecmlink.com and get on the forums. Post a log and you'll get a bunch of respones. Those guys are geniuses.

Brunoboy

i am running a E-85 and 91 pump, somewhere with a ratio like 1:5 E:pump, and I run on stock lines and all. Mods are only 255 rewired and PTE 880cc with Fuel Lab AFPR.This is all tuned on Link V3
-Shane

4thStroke

Quoting Diego:
make sure your lines are AN and oversized because E85 is thick.

Stock lines will support over 600whp. I will be proving this very shortly :)

thecman02

All I can say about E85 is that all the cars I've tuned like 11.8-12. I've seen numerous cars get "rich knock" when they run richer than that. My single walbro didn't run out of breath till 50ish lbm out of the turbo. This is with all stock lines. I was going to replace the fuel filter to rail line, but ended up getting a complete tank to rail setup for cost so ended up doing the whole thing at once.

Dark_Horse

Your global for E85 depends on the time of year. Most places are only 85% Ethanol for a few months per year. Generally in the fall/spring, there's only 78% ethanol in the blend...And in the winter, that percentage drops to 70%. So on 850's, your global would be around -28% during the summer. -31% in the spring/fall and -33% in the winter months.

Here's a great site with a .jpg that shows you when each state switches between the Ethanol blends. click

Of course, since you're in QLD, I'm not too sure when they switch between the different blends.

EDIT: I disagree with Jeff's calculation of global on the link above. Those values are very rich!

Last edited:

Thanks for the great info! I just made my second fill up on E85 out of curiosity to check the mpg and it was right around 19miles per gallon. I noticed at the BP that e85 has 70% ethanol sign posted. I was wondering why it was only 70% when E85 was suppose to have 85% enthanol, if I'm correct? But I remember hearing about the changes during different seasons with the weather. I wonder how the driving will be in winter? does E85 freeze easier? Would I have any issues with driving during the winter?

Dark_Horse

The only problem with E85 in the winter is that it's harder to start when the temps get colder. I really started to notice it when the morning temps were below 50 degrees. Once the temps got below 32 degrees in the morning, the truck (ran it in my Dodge Ram) took a few extra seconds to start...And I wasn't even running full-blown E85. I was mixing it 50/50 with gasoline.

Of course, with the ability to tune, that may not be much of a problem.

thecman02

I've cold started e85 at -10*F. Main issue was cranking power from the battery. It turns over slow, but once it pops and gets going it usually runs fine, but takes a few minutes for the car to warm up and run smooth. E85 doesn't really freeze till -200*F. No worry about it freezing just doesn't run smoothly till car is warm.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned