The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help/ideas tracking down exhaust leak SOLVED

stealthtt24

So the galant developed a nasty exhaust leak the other day and I thought it was the downpipe bolt that wiggled loose. No such luck. Throw it on a lift and the whole downpipe checks out. Pulled the manifold, no obvious cracks. The gasket between the manifold and turbo was good. All bolts are tight on the manifold to turbo. The missing exhaust manifold stud has been there since I bought the car.

Here's a video of it with no downpipe to see if the exhaust leak is still there. No changes. I even made sure all the bolts were tight on the o2 housing. Anyone got the slightest of clues?

Full exhaust, you can hear the leak
link

Video of no downpipe

link

Last edited:

citymunky

o2 housing gasket?

Lightning1

Try wrapping the flanges with tin foil and drive it for a bit. The leak will soot up the foil where the leak is. That is what we do at my work anyways, seems to work pretty good.

Also check the turbo exhaust side, I just took mine apart and the pte exhaust housing was cracked and leaking.

Last edited:

stealthtt24

I will do the tin foil wrap, thanks for the idea. Citymonkey I did not check the o2 housing gasket, hopefully Ill find it with the tin foil idea.

Dark_Horse

Get a can of Seafoam.
Suck up about 1/2 can of Seafoam through a vacuum line into the intake manifold
Turn car off for 30 minutes
30 min later
Turn car on
Watch for smoke show
Smoke will show you wherever you've got an exhaust leak

stealthtt24

DarkHorse, thank you! Used the seafoam and it was coming from the heat shield bolt hole in front of the manifold. I took a bolt that semi fit and no more exhaust leak! Now I just have to track down the exact size and head to ace hardware.

Are you kidding? Wth now I need to go check my car because I don't think I have a bolt there either maybe that's why I keep smelling a bit of exhaust fume from inside the car damn checked for leaks even v-band the crap out of the entire exhaust and smell was still there good find bro.

stealthtt24

It is the absolute last place I would have looked. Also, the bolt hole is bigger than its suppose to be so I'm pretty sure one of the previous owners messed with it.

Wouldn't have suspected those little bastards either I didn't think they went all the way thru the manifold at least the one's at the top doesn't. Well I sealed all the little bastards with some extra bolts I had laying around from the heat shields and guess what less exhaust leak.I also just found one of the exhaust manifold bolts was also loose wtf? Tightened all of them never ends with these cars. lol....

stealthtt24

Usually you have to retighten them. Have you tried the seafoam method yet? I pinpointed my leak in less than 5 seconds. Try it out!

That's what I will try next...My buddy also has a smoke/fog machine I may use also....

Last edited by a moderator:

citymunky

Quoting Dark_Horse:
Get a can of Seafoam.
30 min later
Turn car on
Watch for smoke show

Nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Quoting Dark_Horse:
Get a can of Seafoam.
30 min later
Turn car on
Watch for smoke show

that is exactly what I did. I found out my Ex. Manifold leaks BAD!!!

So I bought a new gasket;

Does anyone know a good site for a DIY exhaust Manifold
gasket replacement?

I tracked down the gasket that I needed but I was hoping for a DIY that someone has written up with a few helpful pictures..

I know it cant be that hard...I just dont want to waste any time doing things the hard way.

good looking out though Stealth...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned