The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need a basic tune map

rdomeck

I have been messing with ecmlink for a while and I think I have change more stuff than I need to. I spoke with someone today on ECMtuning website and he is willing to get me a tune, but wants me to switch over to SD. Not something I think is needed on my setup! See signature below. I'm not running anything special. Just need a good starting point again. Anybody have anything close to my setup and would care to share there file with me?

The basic files that come with ecmlink that I have are for a 2g car!

Thanks for the help.

EHmotorsports

2g base should work just fine. The timing maps are more conservative and will save your engine while tuning. Until you are ready to start playing with timing.

Last edited:

rdomeck

When I try and copy the basic map to the ECU it doesn't let me because there are things not compatible with the ECU on each page!

EHmotorsports

Ya you just take the timing and fuel maps only. Cut and paste. Don't use every part of the 2g settings. You can reset the coolant temp and air temp to the factory preset in link. You will pretty much be setting it up like you just installed everything. ECMtuning has good tutorials on settings and adjustments.

EHmotorsports

When i get home tonight i will see what i can find and link it here for ya. I know it can be overwhelming sometimes but at least you have a good system to work with. Most i have tuned have been (here is the ecu figure it out) haha

rdomeck

Evan, That would be super helpful. Thanks

DynastyLCD

click

try these! if you scroll to the bottom of the page, you'll find the Evo 8 maps. i like to take the quick spool Evo 8 map (evo8-2003-mod1) and go from there.

rdomeck

When I click on the evo8 maps it gives me a garbage file!

turbowop

I wouldn't use Evo timing maps on a stock compression motor. They're way too conservative, IMO. The car will feel crazy slow. I would just smooth out the 1g maps so that they don't have that huge timing spike.

Here is a log from the tune I did on 503 before I sold the car. Fairly similar mods, though I was using a 2gMaf. But you can see how I had my timing map setup. The car ripped pretty good, IMO.

click

Last edited:

turbofonz

The Evo mod-1 map is by far my favorite map to start with on a smaller turbo car.

Compression don't matter, if you have an evo3 turbo, set it up to spike boost in the mid range, the turbo will come in hard while timing is low and while the turbo tapers the timing will rise. This is assuming you're running 20+ psi though. This map almost never knocks while coming into boost which is why I love it so much. Quicker spooling turbos with the 1g map knock into boost a lot more.

I HATE the 1g map, even modded, I like using the evo maps because they have more "resolution" so to say.

If anything, use atleast the 2g map. I basically refuse to run the 1g map.

But that's all opinion.

rdomeck

Quoting rdomeck:
When I click on the evo8 maps it gives me a garbage file!

I figured out the file...I use a Mac and I had to save the file to my desktop and then open it. I will give some of these a try.

Thanks for all the help so far. I do want to take the time to learn all this, but don't have any room on the calendar for a while and would really like for this thing to do a little better!

prove_it

+1 on the evo mod maps. I use both the fuel and timing maps. Dial in your intake sensor, MAF adjust or the SD table. Dialing that in will make a bigger difference than playing with the maps. With my small 16g it spools instantly around 3200rpm and pulls hard to 8k redline. 340whp at 22lbs on the basic maps too. I'm sure tuning could unlock more, but the EVO mod1 maps are great and safe. I've never knocked on them.

rdomeck

Copied the Evo maps and the car is doing much better. Had to go back to my old timing maps as I was knocking like crazy. Still have a little bit of knock that I will play around with the timing maps some after I check my base timing again just to make sure.

Thanks for all the help.

prove_it

If your knocking on the evo map then something else is wrong. That map is not very aggressive. Again I can't stress the importance of dialing in the maf or SD table before anything else. Those factors determine the load calculation. Is it "real" knock or phantom knock, do you have a good knock sensor? What kind of plugs are you running? I had small phantom knock with BPR7ES and when I went to BR7ES it cleared up. Also, I recommend setting the knock ignore to 3500 and 25% throttle. Helps to eliminate phantom knock.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned