The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My transmission blew chunks all over the road.

Coltsfan

So I decided to leave work to grab some lunch but I only made it about 3 blocks for my transmission exploded.
I knew it was making silver paint but I thought I had a little more time.I pulled out and it went bang crunch scrape bang crunch crunch. Then the car didn't want to move. I forced it to move to the side of the road but then the clutch started feeling funny. What do y'all think it is?

prove_it

That sounds just like mine back in August. Go for a brisk drive at lunch, then BOOM POW rrrwdfagadfghkakhg.

Hard to say what happened. Where you in 1st when it went? How much power you making? 1ST gears break easy. Broke that before. I think my latest venture broke the center diff spiders. When my 1st gear shattered, it still drove in 2nd up, noisy but would drive decent. This last time though, it's binding horribly bad and wont even roll on an incline with the clutch pedal in and brakes off. Made for a hell of a tow trip.

You'll need to pull apart and look at the damage. Is this the stock original trans?

Coltsfan

It's a 1ga DSM transmission, probably stock, it was in the car when I got it. I want to say I just got into second gear when it broke. It was starting to bind pretty badly and when tow truck driver put it on the truck the right front wheel was dragging.

Both front wheels turn freely with a clinking noise inside the transmission but the back won't turn very far at all. I get about a half revolution of the drive shaft, then it stops. This silver fluid leaks out of the transmission.

Last edited:

Coltsfan

My guess is the center diff liberated part of itself from the case.

prove_it

My guess too.

Looks like it's time for a quaife center diff!

Coltsfan

Yeah okay, for my $650 Galant LOL.

The syncros for this basket case are already in the mail. Tracking says Monday.

Last edited:

prove_it

Hell ya!!! Go big or go home.

Are you needing this fix asap? I got three dead trannies coming apart in the next month or so. I might be able to help you with parts.

Coltsfan

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I'm hoping the clutch didn't take any damage. I think my spare W5M33 will be good to go with a new set of brass.

prove_it

Yea, I was thinking about that. How does the clutch feel "not right"?

Here's to hoping the input shaft isn't stripped clean off.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Quoting prove_it:
Looks like it's time for a quaife center diff!

One of very few Quaifes that DO NOT carry the lifetime part warranty. FYI.
Great parts none the less. **** They now offer warranty for this part again, since this was posted !!!! ***** always check their sites before ordering to confirm!

Sorry to hear about your trans Adedayo.

Even with a hoist, it's not all that fun pulling FWD, let alone AWD, transaxles out of cars.
Especially older AWD GVR4 and DSM's.

Last edited:

Coltsfan

When I was trying to move it to the side of the road the clutch dropped a little and then didn't want to want to release. I had to shut off the key to stop.

Coltsfan

My syncros are supposed to arrive from mitsubishipartswarehouse today, and my new DSM steering rack came from rockauto last Friday (my rack started gushing last week too). I guess it's time to start doing stuff.

Maybe I'll make a car fixin' vid'.

Ps. Timothy, my friends call me Dayo. Adedayo is reserved for telemarketers and DMV personell. LOL

EDIT: pulled the gearbox; looks like it was the front Diff.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
That's What I get for trying to spell out your whole name eh?
Dayo, me say Dayo. Daylight come through the trans box and tally broken parts now.
Daylight come and me wan-go home ..... oh Dayo ....

Couldn't resist. Timothy go home now.

Your earlier comment had me laugh without the "inner monologue". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

--- Oh, and that picture. Carnage.

Last edited:

vr4play

Usually the parts from the center diff fall down into the front diff but that big spider gear laying there say your correct. I've never seen one do that before and I've broken a lot of transmissions in my day. I think over 20. Lol. I would like to see the inside all disassembled.

Coltsfan

I'm just joking around man, you can call me whatever you want, Dayo is just shorter. LOL At this point this box is not much more than a spare parts salvage.

I have a spare that was sitting in a tote waiting for the new syncros that arrived today.

Last edited:

Coltsfan

Damn! I figured out the cause of the silver fluid. The differential pin has been silently sawing through my bellhousing.

Still missing about an inch of the pin.

EDIT: here's a video of me tearing down the transmission real quick.
click

Last edited:

Coltsfan

Fixed!

Coltsfan

I'm at Smugglers Notch halfway through a 900 mile shakedown drive.

EMX5636

The pin looks nice! That's what Evo X's are famous for... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Good you had a spare box and got it back together! I'm guessing the clutch was ok?

Coltsfan

Clutch was good. The release bearing was damaged, and the heads of the PP bolts were all gouged up, but I had replacements for both laying around the shop.
We're back from VT already because the snow was all rock hard, and the car performed flawlessly. Overall cabin noise levels have decreased, and now I'm thinking it's about time to bust out those spare driveshaft carrier bearings I have on the shelf.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned