The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My restoration and build of #1444/2000 - lots of pics and video!

the_underdog

Quoting SleepinGVR4:
Tom you have a great collection of cars from your Grand National, Mirage, Talon, ISF and now a Galant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

I've always enjoyed your videos and the one you did with your Galant was truly motivational.

One day I hope to have a garage setup like yours.

Keep up the great work sir!

Thank you Sean, I really appreciate that!

the_underdog

Quoting 4Grim:
Like I commented on your youtube video....this GVR4 is blessed to have you as its owner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Thank you again my friend!

the_underdog

Hi Everyone!

Here's the latest video where we tackle some bigger exterior jobs, like the faded trim, stained wheels and a couple other tasks.

Galant VR-4 Interior & Exterior Detail - Part 3 - YouTube

Thanks for checking it out! Here's a few "before" pictures:

Blech!
IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

Terribly faded trim
IMG_0336.jpg

Taking a wire wheel to the 'old nuts.
IMG_0338.jpg

Thanks everyone!

-Tom

Last edited:

turbohf

looks good! I have been putting off doing my doors and windshield moldings for way too long...

coyotes

Nice job, with each one of your videos, the list of things to do for my galant gets longer and longer.. lol

Although since you were removing the wheels anyway it might have been easier to do that before painting the wheel wells.

EHmotorsports

Tim it is so true about taking any wheel to a tire shop. if there is a will there is a way to mess wheels up. I am planning on having my tires mounted first then painted haha.

G

Staff member
Looks good! But I think your doing it backwards and should have done the engine bay first.

turbohf

yeah i was thinking that at the end of the video also. but once the outside is detailed it shouldnt be a thing to give the exterior a quick clean...?

but i am also not one for washing my car lol. i even keep buying white wheels for cars (or with them on already) and dont clean them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

the_underdog

Quoting turbohf:
looks good! I have been putting off doing my doors and windshield moldings for way too long...

Thank you! Yes, it's a bear of a job - but once all of that prep work is out of the way it's lots of fun. Good luck with yours!

the_underdog

Quoting coyotes:
Nice job, with each one of your videos, the list of things to do for my galant gets longer and longer.. lol

Although since you were removing the wheels anyway it might have been easier to do that before painting the wheel wells.

Thanks and sorry to add to the ever-growing task list!

Regarding the wheel wells, yes - it definitely would've been easier that way. I can't remember why I did it that way but hopefully I had a good reason. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the_underdog

Quoting EHmotorsports:
Tim it is so true about taking any wheel to a tire shop. if there is a will there is a way to mess wheels up. I am planning on having my tires mounted first then painted haha.

Man, I thought it was just me having bad luck with tire shops all these years. Really hate to hear so many horror stories though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I swear I've gone to every one in town and they all suck. Back in the old service station days, we did tons of tire service and my own dad would've fired me if I even so much as scuffed a sidewall, let alone scrape a nice wheel. Sheesh!

the_underdog

Quoting G:
Looks good! But I think your doing it backwards and should have done the engine bay first.

Thank you sir! You're right and I actually did clean the engine bay first/as I was detailing the inside/outside, but I couldn't figure a way to fit that footage in with the other videos without jumping around too much, so I gathered all of the engine detailing sequences for the next video. I'll be posting that one later next week. It was a big job too!

coyotes

Yup, I am about to do a full detail on mine once I get to use my buddy's garage and it should not be fun. Car is pretty clean overall but I am just reminded of hours of claying and buffing. Whee…

Engine bay isn't too dirty. I am scared to hose it down though, may just clean it by hand or ignore it!

G

Staff member
Also use this rubberized undercoating next time. click

pot

Staff member
Specifically the 2nd row far right product: 3M™ Body Schutz™ Rubberized Coating, Black, Quart, 08864 -This is what the factory service manual calls for. On a separate note, isn't the valve stem supposed to align with the orange dot on the sidewall of the tire for more precise balancing of the wheel? Either way please keep your video's coming, I'm really enjoying them.

89Mirageman

Pot, I've always heard that too about the dot lining up with the valvestem. Not sure if it actually matters or not though. The tire shops around here suck too and I hold my breath every time I drop something off hoping they don't screw up too bad.

I agree about the videos, I check his channel and Jafromobile for updates on YT about once a week.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quoting G:

G, this guy doesn't need much (if any) "help" like you offer the members of this board.

... you find fault with anything and everthing anybody ever does /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'd rather read a hundred posts like Tom's then one of yours

... sometimes you know you're going to be doing major work in the engine compartment, and it makes more sense to do things in an order that may "seem" ass backward.

... and sometimes it's hard to break stuff up into segments to do posts or like Tom does, kick ass videos!

I know just how hard this task is.

I got my ass fully kicked this summer trying to clean up a good friends car that suffered a little from the weather we had out here.

yikes!

This is why you fix a dipstick that pops out under boost!

there was some stains I couldn't get out.

Didn't want to kill the stickers, so I didn't use to aggressive a chemical solution. (just watered down simple green in a spray bottle)

... sure would like to hear what other folks use, as i wasn't totally happy with the results.

I had my good friend handle the hardest parts.

... running the hotsy for an hour on a car on stands is a young mans game. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

wear safety glasses

be sure to umplug each and every connector and blow the connector and component completely dry.

[Edit] G, I don;t want to sound like I'm picking on you, but you find fault with almost everything anybody posts on this board.

... lot's of folks are getting real tired of it!

Tom is a kick ass, contributing member, and untill you post pics of what you do, maybe you should think twice before posting anything that would keep a cool, saavy cat like Tom from sharing his tips and tricks with us here on the .org.

I've learmed a bunch from his posts and I love his videos.

I want to see anything and everyting he does! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry for speaking out and posting pics in your thread Tom, but I want to the see the video of how you handle this task, and I figgered if I raised the bar a lil, you'd knock it out of the park. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re; the colored dot...

In aviation, two colored dots were used on tube style set-ups. The yellow dot (or stripe) indicated the heavy spot of the tube, and the red dot on the tire indicating the lite spot of the tire. They were lined up during installation.

Later, when they went to tubeless, the dot allowed saavy cats to check /mark the heavy spot of the rim and line up / index / dial in the tire to the wheel and make a smaller / more stable weight package. Airplanes are hard on tires, and any advantage is taken. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In the automotive field,) the red dot is meant to designate the lite spot of the tire.

Many of the saavy old school cats I trained under knew the real backstory, and they would spin their wheels, (sans tires,) and mark the heavy spot.

They would then put the dot inline with that spot, resulting in less weight being used and a more consistent service life.

imho, (unless you've identified the heavy spot of your wheels) the colored dot is put inline with the valvestem by any tire mook worth a shite.

At the very least, it allows guys making serious power a quick visual on whether they're spinning the tires on the rims. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

G

Staff member
They are great videos, they are just funny. Almost like the targeted youtube audience is novice car owners. Were talking basic detailing vids. He already explained he edited and posted the vids backwards not the detailing. My 3m recommendation is a good one. Eastwood spray paint? C'mon. Pro-tip > use some 22ple vm1 on the wheels and the exhaust tips!

Last edited:

89Mirageman

G, what you fail to understand is that Tom isn't asking anyone for advice. He's simply showing us how he did it and what he used to get such good results. I can't imagine how many hours it takes to shoot those videos and then more time to edit them. He could have just cleaned his car up and shot before and after pics but he goes several steps further to share his experience to help others out.

Also I'm not saying that Tom is above good advice, none of us are. But to say that your ways are superior is a little arrogant to say the least. This guy knows what he is doing. Also, nothing wrong with Eastwood products. I've gotten great results with everything I've bought from them.

G

Staff member
I understand he is not asking for advice, but when you post on a public forum advice / criticism however you view it is part of the conversation. Tips from fellow enthusiasts who have done things differently is not superior. The tips/ advice I posted are items I have used. The op and the audience may or may not have known these products exist. I have used eastwood products as well and they were nothing special. Sharing is caring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned