The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My restoration and build of #1444/2000 - lots of pics and video!

the_underdog

Quoting GSX_TC:
Best video yet! Loved the part on the HKS cams haha , was LOL'n my ass off haha. What hotel you gonna be at at the shootout Tom ?

Haha, thanks Mike! That was filmed late at night after too many diet mountain dews. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

the_underdog

Quoting G:
Awesome video, I think the cams should have had a Japanese accent though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Haha, we must think alike! Before doing my poor, nondescript 'who knows what' accent, I tried doing a "respectful" sounding Japanese accent for the cams and it just sounded flat out offensive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the_underdog

Quoting minneSNOWta:
Hey Tom. Thanks for doing what you do. I was inspired by your videos for sure. Even one of my roommates who is a girl got a good laugh watching. Keep up the good work.

You're welcome man, I'm glad I can help in any way possible! I'm always stunned and amazed when dudes somehow con/convice/force girls to watch this stuff. Haha!!

turbohf

Quoting BENE38A:
Stroker

2.3/2.4 sleeper? bet Tom can pull it off... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

the_underdog

Quoting Allangcr7:
Great videos Tom,, they have given me sort of a guide to doing things on my galant. I waited for every video religiously, i looked almost every day for weeks hoping to see the last video with the car running after all those months of hard work.

Thank you and I appreciate the support! Enjoy your Galant too!

the_underdog

Quoting coyotes:
So are you done with the car now? What's next?

Well, first off I'm going to huck it up to Ohio for the shootout next week! Beyond that I plan to drive it around town often, go to some car hangouts and stuff and just enjoy it for awhile. I really don't want to tear into it beyond what I've done, it's a nice setup right now.

ejc

Good job Tom, you have moved the car to another level. As others have said very inspirational!

I’m curious if you experience FPR overrun with the walbro 255 and no aftermarket FPR? Is link helping control this?
I ask because of the common debate if an AFPR should be used with a 255 pump.

Thank you

slugsgomoo

I'm curious as well. My gut feeling on that one is that maybe the solution is to put an AFPR after the factory one (and hide it) and just hollow out the factory AFPR so that it's not raising the pressure. My idle AFR's were uncontrollable with the stock afpr and I can swear i smelled gas in the oil when I changed it once. I wonder if high impedance injectors would be better about that? I know with the 550 & 850 injectors and no AFPR it was bad news for me.

GVR4kauai

I'm running a fp 255 and stock fpr right now with no real issue. The thing I've noticed is it takes a few extra cranks to start up than before, but other than that idles perfect and pulls great. I don't plan to stay this way for long, I have a fuel lab afpr and filter and aem rail to install in the next few days. You could always get a b&m afpr and paint it grey would look sleeper and still give you adjustability. Only thing you would need is a gauge to see what your pressure is at. I'm sure Tom has something sneaky planned lol! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

b&m afpr only allows increase in fuel pressure (source) not reduction which is the problem so I don't see that as being a very helpful solution.

GVR4kauai

I've heard others say this before and have no clue where they get it from. Everyone that's used one knows there isn't a adjustment problem. It's always worked perfect for me rock solid pressure right where I set it. And most of the time you need to increase pressure alittle anyway. And since your still using the stock spring out of your oem fpr. Your adjustment range starts right around where you need to be so it works out pretty good. I'm sure that using more than one 255 with it wouldn't work out to well. As you may start to over run the spring unless modded. For me first on a w190 then switching to a w255 with fic 850's I had no issues at all and had plenty of adjustment range up and down.

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

as far as I know, the over run issues happen at the return of the stock regulator. the physical size of the return port is the restriction and not the spring pressure.

GVR4kauai

If that was the case why would switching to a afpr help? Your still using the same return line right? Think of it this way, if your wastgate won't hold the boost you want what do you do? Either mod the spring to hold more or make it adjustable right. Same thing applies with the regulator. If its getting overrun meaning it can't control the pressure because there's to much. You either need to mod the spring to hold that pressure better or make it adjustable so you can properly dial in the pressure you want.

EHmotorsports

Not the line going to the tank. The return port coming out of the regulator. Volume controll is the cause. Pressure is the effect.

Last edited:

GVR4kauai

Ok I see. I guess you could port it out alittle to help. Well either way the b&m afpr has been proven to work fine for many, for 12 sec cars to 10 sec cars to dailys. But there's so many better options now a days your better off getting the real deal for sure! Fuel lab, aeromotive, aem....

Last edited:

bobdole

Another great video Tom. Great job.

slugsgomoo

For what it's worth with an aeromotive and the stock return line, with a bosch 044 in tank you can drop down under 20psi of fuel pressure. The difference between an AFPR and the factory piece of crap with my 1g (255hp pump) was pretty significant, my AFR's got considerably better at idle/mid throttle. It might be slightly easier to deal with via link, but I expect you'll still end up with a problem based on the size & dead time of the injector being exacerbated by the fuel pressure being way, way over 37psi @ atmo (pressure is lower still in vacuum).

the_underdog

Quoting bobdole:
Another great video Tom. Great job.

Thank you as always!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned