The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My newest venture: JAP EPROM ECU Conversion!

alansupra94

Well after talking to a few people and reading a few threads, I decided to try something.

There is a local place about 25 minutes from me that have STACKS upon STACKS of JDM ECUs for the 1G (Model number: MD312467) - For some 4G63T minivan.

I am going to be heading over there for a screw driver and peaking inside of them to see if they have EPROM chips.

From my understanding and reading, you have to change a few jumpers/resistors on the board and remove another board (octane reading numbers) an replace the EPROM chip with a USDM EPROM chip and bam, you have a USDM EPROM ECU. I, however, won't be worried too much about that as I am going to be running the Ostrich 2.0.

I will be keeping you guys posted. If this works, I would be willing to help the community out by posting exactly what needs to be done.

jepherz

Staff member
You may want to just check for the "E" on the outside of the case if there are a ton. That's a lot easier than opening each case up.

Brunoboy

The part where you see Model number, will also have an E in the corner, if it does, its an Eprom, if not, then nope.

alansupra94

Sweet so I actually verified that is how you can check for eprom without opening. The guy brought one out without the E, opened it and it didn't have the eprom chip. So he went back and brought back a ECU with a E and it had an eprom chip installed! Too bad that they decided to tack on an extra $40 for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

So instead I will just buy from their auction for $49 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif.

alansupra94

Still waiting for the auction to end.

I did manage to find the upgraded capacitors in a box of GVR4 stuff the previous owner left for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Just going to triple check they are the right stuff.

alansupra94

Now that I am unsure of.

They probably do but to be honest, they are con artists in my book. Like their auction for a JDM EPROM ECU was $49 + free shipping and they wanted to charge me $90 + tax on the spot, knowing full well almost no one buys those ECUs. I know if you go there and ask for a specific model number, they will try and raise the price.

I mean from my research, the only difference between 90 and 91 is a few small things including a pin swap.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned