The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

my new VR4 91 896 summit white *UPDATED WITH PICS*

Lonewolf64

When I changed out my fuel pump I had literally popped the fuel lid open in the trunk, sprayed once with lube, waited 15 minutes, and then everything came off smooth as silk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Then again 889 has never seen nor heard of snow.

Ralli380Gvr4

Welcome to the club and congrats on such a good deal! You will be a lot happier instead swapping your gsr. Good luck with the build!

91GSR

each day that passes makes me just that much more excited. i know its pre-mature excitement, but still. im finally getting a car that i can work on and make into something i have always wanted. and finding it for so cheap is just a perk. as soon as i get it home i will be taking extensive pictures to show everyone the extent of any damage or mods that it might have. ive also gotta figure out what number it is. the only way to tell is the dash badge right? so if it doesnt have that then im kinda screwed lol. anyway im going to go try and sell some more stuff to make more money now. ill keep yall updated.

If this is the one that you posted up about not to long ago, def. sounds like your got a good deal. :) Keep us posted mang.

91GSR

on my way in about 20 minutes to go grab the car. im really excited. expect some pics by the end of the night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

464/2K

your lucky you didnt wait an hour longer, i had my guy waiting with a trailer and $ in paypal ready to go. Good luck with it man.

91GSR

its actually 897/2000. he also has 3 more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif 18XX/2000 was sitting next to it with a built motor, straight body, but the tranny was dicked up. he has two more up in richmond. there was a bit more body damage than i would like but still for 460 bucks u cant beat it. still has a full motor, non running, and just a few dented panels. still has the dash badge and two original keys, no key fob. interior is very VERY nice. it is extremely clean and the leather is in great shape. someon put an antenna in the middle of the trunk tho. took a lot longer to get it than i thought it would so no pics tonight cuz of the dark. tomorrow ill get some. also the vin is JA3CX56U9MZ01091...but carfax says it invalid...did i miss a digit or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif he said he is oging to email me the info on the other vr4's he has so we can add them to the registry. is this one in the registry anywhere?

EDIT: forgot to mention that it has already installed a 3" cat back muffler system too. so even if this build gets too much for me and i sell it. i can get well over what i paid for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ANOTHER EDIT: just ran the carfax on it and it is clean. never stolen or in a wreck or anything. it seems to have been well maintained but at one point the odometer might heve been rolled back. not concerned about that since im rebuilding the motor. i will have the ECU out by the end of the weekend to send off to get the caps done. otherwise this car is in great shape for paying less than 500 for it.

Last edited:

91GSR

so i did some digging around this morning. found some good some bad...but overall this was an amazing find. i guess the guy that had it before me didnt know about the cap issue in the ECU cuz its all kinds of corroded in there. hope its salvagable. but, on the bright side, it has amgnecor wires (pretty sure they are AM) and NGK BPR6EKN plugs. the #4 plug had oil on it. dont know if this is symptomatic of something or if its just goopy. there seems to be some wiring done for some typ eof gauges. theres a black/white wire running from under the engine somewhere to the area where the stereo goes. there is also some wiring done into the interior fuse box. very little interior damage. just some rubbage on the driver seat and steering wheel, as well as the driver rear door lock is broke off, but still works. i hooked a battery to it last night and all the electronics work. all windows move, no sunroof. door locks work they're supposed to. took the valve cver off to see how ugly the inside might be, and it looked alright, but i am going to get a new valve cover and bolts cuz the current ones are fugly. pretty much i think if i just change out all the fluids, do the timing belt, get a battery in it and get the ECU fixed itll run. looks like a lot better situation than i was thinkin. now for the moment u havel all been waiting for...the PICS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the dash badge

goopy #4 spark plug

over all ugly engine

drivers rear body damage

the dumb antenna in the middle of the trunk

interior damages

engine sans valve cover

this is the wire that runs to where the stereo is

and this is the wiring in the fuse box. anyone know what it might be for?

dsmless

congrats on the buy hella dell, and good starting point, first check that the engine spinns freely without any binding to make sure that the timming belt didn;t go out and the valves arnt bent, remove the timing belt cover and check the belt for any signs of wear,cracks, if everything checks out okay then your off to a great start let me know if you need any help with something

91GSR

the upper timing belt cover isnt on it and the timing belt looks great. just for piece of mind im going to change it out since i dont know when it was last done. when i took the valve cover off everything looked to be in good working order. how do i move the crank to find out if it binds without trying to turn the car on?

ktmrider

And the number changes to 896! J/K, glad to see you finally got her home.
To turn the motor put the tranny in neutral ( I usually forget this part until I see the car moving ).
Look behind the driver-side front wheel. If the dust cover is in place next to the engine there will be a round hole about the size of a silver dollar. If no cover you will see the crank end and a square hole.
The square hole is 1/2". Put an extension on your driver, 1/2" of course, and turn the engine CLOCKWISE or as if you are tightening a bolt. CW is important as that's the direction the motor spins and it won't try to unload the tensioner.
Turn away! Now if it turns freely locate the very tiny notch in the crank pulley, line it up with the timing mark on the front case, then look at your cam gear marks. You may need to rotate the engine one extra revolution if the marks are not facing each other in the middle.
I'm guessing the bonus wiring was for some type of radio and/or radar detector hookup.
Enjoy before your deployment, let us know what you find out timing wise.

14bCrazy

Quoting 91GSR:
the upper timing belt cover isnt on it and the timing belt looks great. just for piece of mind im going to change it out since i dont know when it was last done. when i took the valve cover off everything looked to be in good working order. how do i move the crank to find out if it binds without trying to turn the car on?

Put a big wrench on the bolt inside the crank pulley and turn it there. You should do the timing belt. I trusted someone that told me it had been done and that didn't work out so well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting 91GSR:
also the vin is JA3CX56U9MZ01091...but carfax says it invalid...did i miss a digit or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif he said he is oging to email me the info on the other vr4's he has so we can add them to the registry. is this one in the registry anywhere?

you are missing a digit here. If you figured it out, please pm it to me for the list.

toybreaker

iconoclast

Im very happy for you.

It's safe to say you sure wanted that car more than anyone else I've seen in a long time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Congratulations!

Quoting ktmrider:
Now if it turns freely locate the very tiny notch in the crank pulley, line it up with the timing mark on the front case, then look at your cam gear marks. You may need to rotate the engine one extra revolution if the marks are not facing each other in the middle

Like he said on the tooling/technique...

But not all of us are nineteen feet tall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I usually both hand on the tools. One to turn and one to steady the extension

Then since all I can see is fender at the point, (because I'm not freakishly tall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) I just eyeball the cam gears.

You want both dowells up, then align the two cam gear marks.

Then you can stand straight up and check the crank timing mark.

remove the tools from the crank before you walk away.

It makes a bad noise when you start the motor with them still in place.

ktmrider

^^ Hey I resemble those remarks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Also +1 about removing the tools once done, they do make quite a racket...

Congrats on the buy.

Also, leave the spark plugs out when you try turning the motor over by hand.

EMX5636

Looks a little rough, but for the price, a damn good deal barring any major rust underneath etc... Some time and TLC should clean up most of that stuff. Good luck with the car, glad to see that we finally got into your head about not dumping a ton of money into your GSR. I'm sure you are much happier to be a real "part of the crew" now. Congrats again.

Justin

91GSR

Quote:
Im very happy for you.

It's safe to say you sure wanted that car more than anyone else I've seen in a long time!

Congratulations!

i definitely wanted this more than anything in a long time. i need to go get a car cover soon so that it doesnt get towed away. without an inspection and tags its kinda likely that my apt complex will think its abandoned. hopefully when i get paid and get my ECU back from terry (that thing is horrendous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif ) all i gotta do is start it up. while the ECU is out i will try the crank turning thing and change ALL the fluids. tranny, oil, clutch, brakes, antifreeze...anything i forgot? im gonne go along all the exhaust and make sure there are no holes/leaks. im gonna yank the turbo out and make sure theres no shaft play/leakage before i start it up. wouldnt want bits to start flying around if something blows up lol. tomorrow is my wifes day off so i wont be doing any work tomorrow, but monday i will start all the fluid exchanges and the turbo checking. updates will be daily most likely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned