The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Mounting springs to shocks...who has a how-to?

SmoothCustomer

I'm trying to mount a set of H & R's to a set of kyb agx's and I was wondering if anyone had a walkthrough that they liked that they could link to. I realize that I could google this myself and I have but I was wondering if anybody had a diamond in the rough possibly. Keep in mind the only tools specific for this job I'm using are advance auto rentals.

H05TYL

Only thing you need that doesn't come under "basic hand tools" is a set of spring compressors.

Though if the struts are still in the car you don't even need those, sit the car on jackstands, (loosen the bottom strut bolts at this point) jack under the hub until suspension is fully compressed then undo & remove the top nut, slowly lower the jack, the strut will slide out of the top hat and you can then remove the lower bolts and remove it from the car - swap the spring over and refit.

To do it with the shock on the bench (or floor), fit the spring compressors and tighten until the spring is loose on the strut, then crack the topnut loose and remove, remove top hat and very carefully loosen the spring compressors.
Fit new spring, compress it, fit top hat, tighten topnut, etc.

speedyvr4

compressing the spring is kind of a dangerous task if you've never done it before. It is not difficult, but does require you to pay special attention, again if you've never done it before.Specially the first way it was described of doing it.There's just no way of telling wich way the spring is gonna go even if it's pretty much cradled in the wheel well. just think, if that nut comes loose and the spring isn't compressed, it along with the shock mount become a dangerous projectile. if the spring hit's you in the head, youre a gonner. Just pay attention, make sure no kids/pets are around and it should all be ok. I sound like mother goose I know. good luck.

524of1000

I removed the top nuts first, before I jacked ip the car. Then I slowly jacked it up, removed the wheek and unbolted the strut. To re-attatch I used spring compressors and put the assembly together first, then installed it on the car. Done and Done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SouthCaliVR4

while the rears are pretty straight forward the fronts, if using a stock style strut can be a little tricky. the top plate & bottom plate must line up, there are two indexing holes one on the top plate one in the spring perch of the strut. I have a long quarter drive extension I use to line them up & the check that it's parallel to the strut shaft. if these are not lined up the spring/upper plate will rub in the wheel well. A wall mount strut compressor is going to make this task a lot simpler. Shops won't charge much if you take them the assembly out of the car & just have them swap the strut.

Don't forget about the upper strut mount. they are often overlooked but are available from KYB & Monroe as well as other sources.

SmoothCustomer

I think I may actually get a quote from a couple places tomorrow to find out how much they would do this for me for, but if it is more than like $25 or so I'm going to pass.

H05TYL

Quoting speedyvr4:
Specially the first way it was described of doing it.There's just no way of telling which way the spring is gonna go even if it's pretty much cradled in the wheel well.

Huh? It isn't going to go anywhere, because you're controlling it's rate of extension with the jack and it will be located positively by the top hat and spring seat (both of which are still attached to the car) until just AFTER it is fully extended, at which point it has no more desire to launch off anywhere.

Also, until you remove the lower strut bolts and the hub from the strut mount, the spring cannot come out.

solidviper89

Quoting speedyvr4:
compressing the spring is kind of a dangerous task if you've never done it before. It is not difficult, but does require you to pay special attention, again if you've never done it before.Specially the first way it was described of doing it.There's just no way of telling wich way the spring is gonna go even if it's pretty much cradled in the wheel well. just think, if that nut comes loose and the spring isn't compressed, it along with the shock mount become a dangerous projectile. if the spring hit's you in the head, youre a gonner. Just pay attention, make sure no kids/pets are around and it should all be ok. I sound like mother goose I know. good luck.

Listen to this guy SC, I almost killed my self... If I saw it happen and was able to get out of the struts way...
LONG story short, The strut was aimed at my face, I pointed it down to get better leverage, Spring ended up launching strut a good 25 feet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That strut could have been my brain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SmoothCustomer

Werd, I'm calling 3 different places on this tomorrow to see if they will do it. If they won't do it for cheap I'll take my chances and be real careful. Thanks guys!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned