The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Motor oil test, shocking results Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Pur

JNR

Reminds me of those tests for Duralube, lol.

Never had any problems with Mobil 1, or really any other good synthetic oil. I've heard the RP is good for engine oil, but mixed on diff/trans oil, etc., so just went with M1 again.

I've been running RP in my trans for a few years. The minute I put that stuff in & went through the 1st gear I could feel the difference. M1 15w50 has always been in my engine. No complaints there either.

Scientist

I use 10w30 Mobil 1 non syn in all our mitsus except those equipped with 4B11.
use 20W-50 Castrol Syn Blend on my Rav4.
I have a case of Mobil 1 Full synth 10w30 for the VR4.
Use 5w-30 Castrol Syntec on one of my customers 8G Galant VR4 (6A13TT) (Mitsu recommends 0w-30 for that car)

I like using the thinner oils since it keeps the car running quiet. Didn't like the high idle oil pressure we got on 20w-50 on my engine builders RVR using full synth.

Even using castrol on his car his bearings looked very healthy when he tore the motor apart @ 100,000Km

^I thought all Mobil 1 oils were synthetic. You can have Mobil non synth but not Mobil 1.

curtis

I wish it had showed the specific gravity of each of the oils. Usually the higher the better but the ones much over one soak into your skin and don't come out.

Most conventional oils are in the .80 to 1.0 range then the syn's go above one and the hydraulic system oils for aircraft go up to the 1.4 specific gravity on the phosphate esters.

I know this will sound crazy but I had a pilot in the army that had an old ford courier truck, truck had to be 25 or 30 years old and had around 500k on the clock he drove it everywhere. All of its life he put aircraft turbine engine oil or what the army calls 2380 in it and when it finally died and actually rusted down he went into the motor and inspected and it was spotless. We always thought he was crazy because the can said clearly not to be used in aircraft or automobile piston engines. Be it seemed to work but is super thin almost like water. I have a couple cans but have always used it as parts preservative or like machine oil on non critical areas just to keep rust from flashing over.

Hksvr4

Quote:
know this will sound crazy but I had a pilot in the army that had an old ford courier truck, truck had to be 25 or 30 years old and had around 500k on the clock he drove it everywhere. All of its life he put aircraft turbine engine oil or what the army calls 2380 in it and when it finally died and actually rusted down he went into the motor and inspected and it was spotless. We always thought he was crazy because the can said clearly not to be used in aircraft or automobile piston engines. Be it seemed to work but is super thin almost like water. I have a couple cans but have always used it as parts preservative or like machine oil on non critical areas just to keep rust from flashing over.

2380 Turbine Oil

That makes me curious. Was talking to my uncle about BEC racer and we got onto the internals. The guy he has build his motors won't tell him what oil he uses. He said that the last time he cracked open the motor he looked at it and it looked prestine. Said the oil was clear and super thin. He had that motor in there for 2 seasons without touching it at that point. Wonder if thats whats in it?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned